It's been a little more than a week since we moved to our new home. I told Rick last night that I can't wait to 'live' here. Ha! Right now it's more like we're just in this endless cycle of unpacking, breaking down boxes and hauling off stuff to Goodwill. But we're making progress. It's just slow. Being so deliberate to not keep anything we really don't want or need takes time.
I'm embarrassed by the excess.
It's ironic that right now in my quiet time I am doing a great study by Kelly Minter. It's called, "No Other Gods" and it's been outstanding. I'm pretty sure once I go through it I will go through it again. It's been transforming for me. Anyway, many things have stuck out but one of the most significant was this...God blesses us in many ways. Sometimes materially. However, too often these 'things' given to us to enjoy become false idols. The example in the study was when Moses was up on the mountain for 40 days the people below became impatient and wanting 'something' to worship. So, they threw all of their gold earrings/jewelry into the fire to become a golden calf to worship. The very things they had been given (the jewels) had now become an idol. Sadly, I am guilty of the very same things. Things meant for my pleasure too often become too important and begin taking the place of the One True God.
The whole study is about getting rid of anything that takes the place of God. Some things in my life need to be reevaluated and put in their rightful place. The day we finished packing the final boxes this was one of the paragraphs in the study - written by a friend of the bible study author.
I actually just finished moving. Who knew I had been collecting so much stuff? I found myself saying, "whose stuff is all this anyway?" Seriously, the Lord has used this move to show me so much, so it's totally apropos that I'm sitting her in my new bedroom with my laptop and boxes all around, reading about "moving on and making room." This house was so roomy before we came here with all our stuff! I almost told the movers to drive off when the truck was still half full. Goodness, we already had enough stuff in the house that I couldn't fathom what else was in that truck. I am thankful for all of our clothes, food, books, etc but I am finally at a place where I understand the beauty of getting rid of the things that simply take up space. That's what our lesser gods do. They offer a false sense of security and hope. They really aren't doing anything. We are deceived.
I tell you that I could have written that very thing. That is my heart right now. I desire that no one and nothing take up space doing nothing. I want nothing God has graciously and abundantly blessed me with to become more than that. A blessing, not a god.
So, I continue unpacking and letting go. I'm not being reckless. There are things I'm still enjoying and plan to keep. But this process, slow as it may be, has been quite freeing. Even with what I keep...I'm not letting things stay where they don't belong.
We're actually really loving our new home - chaotic as it may be. The girls have worked so hard. Rick, Kyleigh and Hunter have built the fence, put in a sprinkler system (wouldn't recommend this as a DIY) and we continue to unpack. Letting go of false gods and enjoying the beautiful setting. We're all outside a lot more here. It's gorgeous and quiet. The nighttime sky is tremendous and I love that the tv is rarely on and the sounds of voices, laughter, 4 wheelers and playing fill the sky.
SIMPLY.GRATEFUL.LIFE Keeping a record of God's goodness to me and being thankful for how richly blessed I am. He has been gracious to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don’t Miss
As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...
-
Preslie reached a milestone and we celebrated, despite the ice and snow covered roads. Having a birthday in January has it’s own set of c...
-
As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...
-
On our drive to the cancer center earlier this week, Rick and I discussed how this journey we've been on has had many prongs of attack. ...
No comments:
Post a Comment