Sunday, January 6, 2013

Not Sure Why I Love This

When we moved to the country, I did not do so kicking and screaming. Over the years, being in the country has grown on me and I've found I long to be here. I love everything about our life here.

On January 1st, the house was quiet and I decided to tag along with Rick as he headed down to the barn. Each morning and evening the stalls get mucked out (that's just a country/horse term for scooping horse poop) and the horses get fed. Typically, the girls do this twice a day. Every day. Often on the weekends,  Rick will do it to give them a break. However, I've now began doing something I never expected. It's safe to say no one in my family expected me to do, much less enjoy, this chore. Ever. But I do. I have my suspicions as to why I enjoy it, but the fact is, I do.

Thanks to the high tech media drenched world we live, Rick had his phone aka camera with him this very first day I went down to muck stalls and feed the horses. He snapped this picture of me in all my morning gloriousness. (That's a word I'm sure) I think he really took it to document what he expected would be a once and done event. Ha! Not so. I've been down every single morning to muck and feed. I enjoy it. I enjoy the morning chill (it's often 10-20 degrees when we go out). I enjoy that walk across the pasture with one, two or sometimes all three of the girls and Rick on the weekend. I like accomplishing something so early in the morning and in some way partaking of country life in a way I never thought I would.

So, this is not a New Year's Resolution but I like the result. Just another way to spend some time with the people I love and enjoying a little piece of something they enjoy - horses.


No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...