Friday, May 8, 2015

Flashback Friday

Twenty-six years ago I walked across to receive my degree in Elementary Education from Oklahoma State University.

 Tomorrow, Hunter will do the same thing at the College of Business. 

My roommate Krista and I walking across to receive our diplomas! Future teachers. Thank you blurry film of the 80's! 

So thankful we met! We roomed together our last year and she made my classes and my life so much happier. Sweet friend. Seven months later she'd be a bridesmaid in our wedding I didn't even know I'd be having in this picture! 
My mom and dad absolutely got me through four years at OSU! They earned this degree as much, if not more, than I did.

I was homesick pretty much the whole four years. I missed them so much and longed for home. They never gave up and kept me encouraged and going toward the goal. So grateful for them.

I called home every single night (when it was long distance and long before cell phones, emails and texts) and came home every single weekend except maybe a few. Dad wrote me letters every week and Mom would drive over to visit. They saved me!

They were my greatest supporters and encouragers in this and in everything! 
Mom, me, Dad and my brother Scotty - also an OSU Alum! These are smiles of relief and thankfulness.

Thankful that my parents wanted great things for us! Thankful they supported us and helped us achieve our goals. My dad was the first person in his family to every attend and graduate college. He put himself through and graduated Baylor and began a lifelong career at Phillips after he served in army and fought in two wars. What a hero is to me. My mom taught me everything good about being a wife and mom - she's a treasure to me. 


This photo doesn't look like it belongs in a gradutation post but...
A few weeks before this picture was taken,  I had my first date with Rick. We'd seen each other about every day since our first day, so it seemed natural to invite him to come over for cake and ice cream after we got home from graduation. He came over and it was the start of something wonderful. Three months later we would be engaged! 1989 was a very good year!

Fun to reflect on this day so many years ago! Looking forward to celebrating with Hunter tomorrow! 



No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...