Tuesday, November 8, 2016

13.1

We approached Preslie this past summer about joining the Run the Streets program in hopes of giving her a 'thing' of her own.  A way to be physical and develop some physical and mental training. 

Run the Streets began its 15th season and the lives that have been impacted are better for it. I can't begin to express the value of this program. Intended to help at risk teens, by giving them an opportunity to train for a 1/2 marathon alongside caring, compassionate and authentic mentors who challenge them in many ways. It has been opened up to all teens ages 13-18 and the program continues to grow. Character traits we value are emphasized in the RTS program and running is the tool in which these qualities are developed and refined. This program has been extraordinary in the lives of the mentors and the mentees and we will forever be grateful for this program. 

Early in August Preslie decided she wanted to join RTS. Beginning mid-August, she began running at 4:00 every Tuesday and Thursday and Saturday mornings at 7:30. It was hot and it was hard. It required a personal committment. The whole thing was far outside her comfort zone, but with each passing run, we began to see a shift. She became more confident and committed. "I love to run" became a familiar expression from her and she began to look more and more forward to each run. Even when she was sick, she refused to miss a run. Aside from the wonderful physical training, there were relationships being formed and strength in her being developed and some of her God-given gifts were being brought out in many ways. 

Over the twelve week program, she ran two 5K's and 1-8K  before the ultimate race, the 13.1 on November 5. Her times improved with each run and she noticed that she was stronger and her progress was evident. So did we. Saturday, she put her nerves to rest and put one foot in front of the other and she ran. And she did not quit. And mile after mile she did what she knew she could all along. All she had trained for was being put to the test. She passed with flying colors!  She crossed that finish line and we celebrated. We cried and we thanked God for empowering her and equuipping her and for RTS! 

Some fun numbers trivia. This was Jenks 37th half marathon. I was 37 when Preslie was born. She ran her first half at age 13. One mile per year she's been alive. ❤️

Before the half-marathon began. An amazing group of adults and teens ~
Rick pinning her number on her shirt! Just like before every race. Precious to me. 

6.5 mile selfie 
Finished strong!!!

Marci was God-given to Preslie for RTS. Marci asked God to give her the mentee He wanted her to have and quickly these two became running partners. The support, encouragement, prayers and consistency Marci provided are priceless to Preslie and to us. We will forever be grateful for Marci's role in her life. 
Marci, Preslie and Clayton

 This was Clayton and Preslie's 1st season of RTS - He's an extraordinary 13 year old and thankful for the friendship they now share. He ran his 1st half-marathon in under 2 hours! 

At 3 hours and 30 minutes one last RTS boy had yet to cross the finish line. We saw purple shirts headed to meet him and more and more purple shirts until every single RTS child and adult gathered. And this group of mentors and mentees ran the last few minutes of his race with him. He did not finish alone. But he did finish. Everyone put aside their own agenda and despite worn out bodies, they ran him in. Because we are all stronger, and better together. 

She sure earned this medal and will treasure it always
Receiving her RTS Hoodie and trophy from Bob - Curtis at the mic - He and Preslie enjoyed a constant OU/OSU war of words throughout the season - GO POKES! 

These two men are foundational and hugely instrumental in the success of this program. 

I can't begin to express how grateful I am for RTS. It's dependent on donations and is 100% free to every teen who joins. Fleet Feet supplies each runner with a new pair of running shoes. Every race is paid for and shirts are given all free of charge. And, the benefits outside the material ones are indescribable. Effects we will no doubt see for some time to come. 

Sidenote: If you're ever looking for a program to support financially, I highly recommend RTS. And if you are reading this and you run, or want to run and make a difference in the lives of some incredible teens (and their parents and no doubt yourself), get involved. They always need mentors. 

God's word includes many references to running. It most definitely is a wonderful way to strengthen and refine mentally, physically and emotionally and I pray Preslie has a lifelong love for it! She's already looking forward to her next season!

Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. Hebrews 12:1

The God who has girded me with strength has opened wide my path. He made my feet like the feet of a deer, and set me secure on the heights. 2 Sam 22:33

But those who trust in The Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Tim 4:7

When you walk, your step will not be hampered; and if you run, you will not stumble. Prov 4:12

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it a slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. 1 Cor 9:24-27

I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize. Phil 3:13

I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free. Psalm 119:32

With God's help, we will do mighty things. Psalm 60:12




No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...