Well, this just feels weird. Two of our 'birds' are out of the nest for an extended period of time. It's strange how much it changes the dynamic of our home when one of the kids is not here - for the first time ever Hunter and Kyleigh are both gone at the same time for 3-4 days. Very strange! Hunter is in Houston til Sunday and Kyleigh is at church camp til late Saturday night. I know they are both having a great time so I am choosing not to dwell on how much I miss them and wish they were here. I know this is part of them 'spreading their wings' and it's good and it's normal but back home, it just feels empty.
The last season of life where it was me and Addison and Preslie was when Addison went to afternoon kindergarten. The three of us would have our mornings together and I'd fix them lunch and we'd take Addison to school - that gave the 3 of us a good block of time together each morning and gave me a great block of 1-1 time with Preslie every afternoon. That was 3 years ago so even though it has a familiar ring to it, it just feels strange with the two older kids gone ~
But as I said, trying not to focus on how much I miss the older two kids - trying to make some fun 'remember when' memories with the younger two in these 3 days. We took the girls to swim after dinner last night and they loved that - today I'm taking Addison 'back to school shopping' in Tulsa and we're both really looking forward to it! Finding extended 1-1 time with each child is something I really strive for but in honesty, it does not happen nearly enough. Anyway, we've both been counting the days til today! Now it's here and no doubt we are going to have fun - I always laugh a lot with Addison -she's funny. She's been thinking of where she wants to choose to eat lunch and we've made a list of all the things she needs from pencils to tennis shoes ~ Tonight she is spending the night with Grandma and so that will give Rick and I some time with Preslie and that too will be fun.
Hunter did surprise us with a sweet phone call last night. I am so grateful for that! I'm sure he has no idea how much it means to me to hear his voice but I'd decided it was really okay if he didn't call. I told him he could call anytime but to just enjoy his time ~ He was very talkative and clearly excited about all the fun things they had ahead in the next few days! Kyleigh has no way to call so I live in a state of uncertainty if she is having fun, feeling homesick etc - This for sure gives me a chance to just trust God even more!!!! Even though I am not there with her, He always is and He knows exactly where she is and exactly how her days are going! There is peace and comfort in that ~ I still look forward to seeing her little face Saturday night and hearing all about her camp!
So, the nest feels a bit roomy these next few days but it gives all four kids a chance to spread their wings in different ways. It gives me an unwanted taste of the years ahead~ The night before Kyleigh left the three of us were all on Kyleigh's bed talking. Addison dug her face in Kyleighs pillow and I asked her what she was doing and she said this........... I'm just memorizing Kyleigh's smell from her pillow before she leaves! How precious is that? She misses her so much ~ So do I!
SIMPLY.GRATEFUL.LIFE Keeping a record of God's goodness to me and being thankful for how richly blessed I am. He has been gracious to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don’t Miss
As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...
-
Preslie reached a milestone and we celebrated, despite the ice and snow covered roads. Having a birthday in January has it’s own set of c...
-
As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...
-
On our drive to the cancer center earlier this week, Rick and I discussed how this journey we've been on has had many prongs of attack. ...
No comments:
Post a Comment