Several of my friends have planted or are planting vegetable gardens. Seemed like a great idea and I got dreamy about the prospect of being able to go pick fresh veggies for a salad or strawberries for a snack. I approached Rick with this ingenious idea (one I might mention he had suggested just about every spring for the past decade) and he was happy to oblige! Being somewhat shocked at the excitement level of the girls I ran through the work involved - they happily agreed. I sure hope come mid-June this doesn't look like a mistake : ) We took off for Lowes to buy the wood and then two trips to grandma's farm to get dirt and manure. There are certain things my husband, who truly is a country boy at heart, will not buy, EVER. Dirt and manure are high on that list. Last weekend two square foot gardens were built in our backyard. Seeds and plants were planted and now we water and wait. I'll keep you posted and don't be surprised if we come to your door with our overflow : )
Kyleigh and Preslie worked with Rick pretty much the entire weekend
Putting in the very first seeds
Perfectly divided squares so the veggies don't get in each others bubble : ) They planted two beds like this - one with strawberries, cantaloupe and tomatoes and one with all kinds of yummy veggies! I can't wait to enjoy the fruit of their labor : )
Kyleigh planting yet more seeds
I had to snap these pictures. Kyleigh and Rick were quite a team all weekend. They primarily did all the work themselves. Kyleigh researched and shared her knowledge with Rick, she dug and prepared and planted - he taught her some great things and together they made some awesome memories!
No comments:
Post a Comment