Saturday, August 21, 2010

Complete Healing

My last seven years could be summarized many ways. Initially the one that stands out for me was much like a classic novel that began, it was the best of times it was the worst of times. Rick and I anxiously anticipated the birth of our fourth child; however, my body began to show signs of serious trouble. It would later be determined that I was facing a battle with breast cancer. What Satan intended to harm me, God intended for good to accomplish what is now being done. (Gen 50:20).

I could document countless ways I have seen God during my lifetime, but even more so in the past seven years. Literally, from the moment I woke up from the biopsy on July 3, 2003 God placed purposeful people in my life. He continued that. Daily. Certainly, He was in control of my journey, my trial, my life. He had not forsaken me. (Hebrews 13:5).  Unlike me, cancer did not take Him by surprise.

Two surgeries, 8 rounds of chemotherapy and 52 weeks of a clinical trial drug later, I emerge from cancer blessed. Not blessed simply because I am healthy and alive. I am certainly grateful for that. But my life has been changed. God tells us in James 1:2 - consider it pure joy, my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Every July I have to fight the human feelings that want to overcome me. I fight with the best weapon of all - The word of God! Ephesians 6:10-18. I pray scripture, I recite it, I listen to it, I sing it - In my humanness I feel a sense of dread as I am reminded of that July 7 years ago. The memories are still fresh. I can easily be transformed back to that place and time if I allow it.  I dread the yearly visit to my oncologists - not because I fear bad news - I simply do not like revisiting that season of life. I do however, very much appreciate and enjoy focusing on the infinite ways God met with me, spoke to me, ministered to me, comforted me, healed me, loved me, walked with me and showed Himself to me.

Rick and I drove to Tulsa for my yearly visit to the oncologist a couple of weeks ago. As we drove we visited about it all. I asked Rick why we keep going back to the yearly appointments. I am certainly not expecting cancer. It seems ridiculous to me to keep on going back. Truthfully, I was at the point where I was ready to tell my doctor that I would not return after this year. Seven was significant to me because I knew it was significant to God. I knew I was healed of cancer. I've known that for quite some time so it seemed ridiculous to me to return each year to have confirmed what I already knew.

Seven years. That number just kept going over in my mind. Seven is a significant number to God. A few examples of 7 in God's Holy word include the 7 days of creation. Gen 7:2 God told Noah to take 7 of every clean animal into the ark. Later, He sent a rainbow, containing 7 colors as a promise to never flood the earth again. In the book of Joshua (6:1-5) he is told to march around the city for 6 days and on the 7th day march around it 7 times and the walls fell down.  Proverbs 24:16 says though a man may fall down seven times he will rise again. In the book of Matthew Peter asked Jesus how many times should someone forgive - Jesus answers seventy times seven! Revelation 6:1 speaks of the seven seals that will be opened.

Rick and I went through the motions of the appointment. We've developed a real relationship with Dr. L over the past 7 years.  We know about his family, his interests and vice versa. He walked by the room we waited and stopped. He asked me why I was here...'did I call you or did you call me' he asked. I laughed and said he'd called me for my yearly appointment. He left saying he'd be right back.

A few minutes later he returned. We talked; he examined me, ran through his list of to-do's and said some of the best words I'd ever heard before. I have no doubt at all that God prompted him to say these words to me.  "Mindi, I really don't need to see you anymore." I raised my hands to God and when he left our exam room Rick and I prayed together and thanked God for His goodness to us. I rejoice! I am simply grateful.

2 comments:

Abby said...

I'm sitting here, just amazed and in complete awe of our gracious Heavenly Father! We serve such a sovereign God who guides and protects and leads us on this crazy journey called life. I'm so blessed I know you and know your story. You're an inspiration to all and I love that at the end of your story, God receives all the glory! Glory be to God in the highest!

Becky said...

That's so cool!!!! Seven is a great number! I can't believe it has been seven years. I remember so well praying for you at some evening service we were having at Grace back then. Thanks for sharing your story!!! You were such an example then and continue to be now. I love you and am so glad you are healed.

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...