Wednesday, September 22, 2010

It Has Nothing to Do with Feelings!

The calendar says today is the 1st day of fall. It certainly doesn't feel like fall in Oklahoma. Most days it's 90+ degrees! We're still wearing shorts and flip-flops, the grass is green and so are the leaves. There is no chill in the air - our air conditioner is on both in our home and in our vehicles. Mowers still cutting grass each week and my children come inside in the evening smelling of summertime! But the truth is that today is the first day of fall and it has NOTHING to do with what it feels like outside.

Today, I will be decorating our home to look like fall has arrived.I don't care what it feels like outside. I know what the truth is and today is the 1st day of fall.  Great things happen in fall and it's a season I fully enjoy. Today I will make it look like fall because it is whether it feels like it or not.

I can't help but see the parellel of what today, tomorrow, this week FEEL like and what often I struggle with in regard to faith. So much of what I believe and think is based on my feelings.  When I have sinned I feel guilty, ashamed and regretful. Thankfully, in our Lord's love and mercy He tells us that if we confess our sin He is faithful to forgive us and cleanse us of all unrighteousness! Look it up ; ) 1 John 1:9!   I may not feel forgiven but the reality is that I am. That is truth! 

When I was going through chemo to treat cancer I didn't always look or feel healed but I clung to the promises of God which said I was. Isaiah 53:5 says He was pierced for our transgressions (sin) and he was crushed for our iniquities and by His wounds we are healed. I did my part to make my actions match His truth. According to Psalm 103 Praise the Lord oh my soul. Forget not all His benefits who forgives ALL your sins and heals ALL your diseases. So, I had to stop letting my feelings be my guide and stand on truth and act and react in such a way.

When I've hurt someone I love or acted in a way I shouldn't I may not feel like apologizing.  When I've been hurt I may not feel like forgiving. But I've learned (finally) that it has absolutely nothing to do with feelings. It has more to do with obedience. When I do what God tells me is best (forgive, believe, etc) and in an act of obedience do what He says is best....somehow I begin to 'feel' differently. God never tells us to act according to our feelings. He does tell us to have faith and believe and to walk in obedience to His word.

So, go celebrate the first day of fall and the day after that! This is the day that the Lord hath made...let us rejoice and be glad in it! Even if you don't feel like it : )

2 comments:

BLOG CABIN WOMAN said...

Mindi, I enjoyed reading your blog...I didn't know you had one, but I'm glad to have discovered it today! Can't believe Hunter is all grown up. I still remember him as a little toddler! You have a great testimony...so keep on sharing! God bless you & your family. Hope you had a great FALL day & got all your decorations up! -- Wendy Hayes

Anonymous said...

I'm finally getting caught up on my blog reading! I love this post -- exactly what I needed to hear. And I cried more happy tears when I read your post about your doctor's visit to Tulsa! Rejoicing with you! I can't believe both our boys are seniors -- wasn't I just a senior :) Love, Susie D.

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...