Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Preparing Your Heart for Advent

No my calendar is not off.  I fully recognize that it's October.  God has laid on my heart for the past few months to prepare my heart for Advent. Advent is a term from the Latin word Adventus which means arrival. Another way to say "to come" and it refers to Jesus' coming to earth as a baby on Christmas Day.  As cliche' as it may sound, He is the reason for the season.

I discovered two books I am so excited to use this season! I want to share them with you too so if you feel so led you will have time to order them before November arrives! That is why I couldn't wait to share these titles with you!! I so desire that in the middle of Jesus' birthday party celebration I don't lose sight of Him but purposely and deliberately keep Him right where He belongs!  I have a great feeling this will be a season like no other~
Preparing My Heart for Advent
This is a daily bible study that you can do all by yourself or with a friend or group of friends. It begins on November 1 and goes all the way through January 6.November is in true bible study form and December is in devotional format.   Even if you have never studied the Bible ever before this is for you! If you are a veteran bible study gal, this book is for you too!

Here is a little blurb from the back of the book:

  Preparing My heart for Advent challenges women to immerse themselves in Scriptures during the months of November and December so that they are more likely to keep Christ in Christmas rather than becoming entangled by obligations and commercialism.  It accomplishes its purpose with a two-fold thrust, serving as both a seasonal bible study and a devotional.  Each day of the November studies corresponds to a December devotional reading on the same topic. For example, readers will study Joseph on November 10 only to refresh their learning on this topic with a devo reading on December 10.


Next I found this great little book written by none other than Lisa Welchel, better known as Blair from the Facts of Life. If you don't remember that show, don't tell me!! : )  Anyway, when I first began praying about home-schooling the girls, the 1st book I read was by Lisa Welchel. She herself is a long time home school mom and I read her book entitled, So, You're Thinking About Home Schooling and it was just what I needed. Anyway, back to her book about Advent.  It is called The ADVENTure of Christmas. It is actually for the whole family and geared towards our children's hearts.

It is chalk full of teachable moments, crafts, recipes, ideas for traditions, stories, and background information that people of any stage or age will enjoy.

My prayer is that you will consider looking into these books. I truly believe they will prove to be well worth your time. I cannot wait to begin preparing my heart November 1st so I can fully and authentically celebrate the greatest gift of all time.

2 comments:

Laura Jones said...

Thanks Mindi! You find the neatest resources! I am definately getting these! I am really going to like Lisa's books with the ideas.

Carrie said...

Hey Mindi! I love following your blog, your kids are precious! And thanks for the great ideas about Christmas. I have been looking for a book to do together as a family to prepare our hearts for Christmas. Thanks!

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...