Monday, July 25, 2011

Grieved over Sin

I've been (and at times probably still am) guilty of diminishing the extent of my sin. Saying oh, it wasn't a huge deal when I commit a 'small' sin. But the truth is that all sin should grieve me because according to scripture, it is against our Lord alone that I sin. My 'small' sin of a critical thought, an unkind word, envy, pride, selfishness and on and on...all sin. Even one of those was enough to nail my Savior to the cross. I am grateful He keeps my heart tender and aware of the sin in my life so I can confess it and turn away and be grateful for His forgiveness and restoration.

Two nights ago Preslie wanted to put one of her temporary tattoos on her hand. I'm not a fan of any type of tattoo. Didn't even know she had any and certainly wasn't going to help her find them. She couldn't find it and it was really late. So, she decided to make her own tattoo in her bed with some washable markers. The next morning I woke her for church and there was marker stains all over her sheets with only a small amount left on her hand. I asked what it was and through teary eyes she confessed that she had tattood herself with marker.  Upset by the stain and upset by the disobedience left her feeling so sad. As she generally does, she confessed her sin, admitted her guilt and asked for forgiveness. We talked about it and prayed about it and I went on with our morning getting ready for church.

A few minutes later Preslie came in, still grieving over her sin. I asked her why she was so sad and she told me that her heart just hurt from it. Grieved by sin. It reminded me how my sin should grieve me and never should I be so cavalier about it.  Reminding her that God tells her that her sins are forgiven and are thrown into the depths of the sea! I love Micah 7:18-19 that says this:  "Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea."

At church yesterday we sang one of my favorite songs and God faithfully reminded me of what I'd just be sharing with Preslie. He is so relevant!!! I'm so grateful her heart is tender and she loves her Lord. I am grateful God gave us both such a great lesson in His forgiveness.  He let the stain on her sheets provide a visual lesson for us both.A lesson she could understand and hide away in her heart. One I don't think either of us will forget! I love that He used a simple visual to make a big impact.  I washed her sheets that morning and we put them on her bed later in the day. The stain was gone. Gone from her heart and from the sheets! God is so faithful and so abundant in his love, mercy, compassion and forgiveness. What a God we serve!

Jesus paid it all
All to Him I owe
Sin had left a crimson stain
He washed it white as snow.

*If you want to hear a version of the song it is in the post below!

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...