A few weeks ago my brother Shawn sent me and Hunter each a copy of this letter he'd saved from my dad. Dad was great about sending letters to us frequently and we've both saved them all throughout the years. They are treasures, especially now.
This particular letter was written to Shawn in 1978 but I feel certain what he said in this letter was fresh in his mind. Now 33 years later it's still a huge encouragement to me and my family as well as to Shawn. Such wisdom. My dad was the first real man I ever knew and loved. He was the biggest hero in my mind and I was always proud, though I still don't fully comprehend all he did, of the fact that he bravely fought in 2 wars. Front lines. God spared Him many times. What dad saw, lived and experienced was nothing short of horrific. I can't even begin to imagine. He rarely talked in detail but we all knew he'd seen and endured much.
I love seeing his handwriting and I can hear his voice as I read his words. Though a quiet man, I am grateful he was always full of encouragement, truth and wisdom when he spoke. Most importantly, my Dad pointed us to Jesus...knowing HE was the one who was with him every day, especially relying on Him in Korea.He knew Jesus was protecting him both physiclly and mentally. One of Dad's favorite quotes was one he underlined in his letter below! I still quote it to myself and others often. Dad didn't have anyone pointing him to Jesus...Jesus just made Himself known to my dad and I'm grateful Dad trusted Him, knew Him and that he and Mom raised us to know, love and trust Him too.
Still missing him so much.
Kyleigh and PaPa in 2005 - honoring him at the Veteran's Day Assembly at Hoover~
Addison with PaPa 3 years later honoring him again!




No comments:
Post a Comment