Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving

What if all you had today was what you thanked God for yesterday?

Sadly, too many of us only focus on our blessings (possibly only briefly) at the season of Thanksgiving rather than 365 days a year cultivating a spirit of thankfulness. I so don't want that to be what I become...ungrateful.

Furthermore, I'm seeing a trend that is sad to me. Thanksgiving is being pushed aside. I happen to love Thanksgiving because it's a holiday we spend with family, eating good food, sharing time and enjoying one another. Togetherness. However, being sandwiched in between what have become huge money making holidays it seems that Thanksgiving is becoming a memory. I guess it's not a huge money making holiday so you barely get through with the halloween candy and Christmas decorations, gifts, music and preparations are upon us. Christmas should not be a money making holiday. It's when we celebrate the birth of our Savior!

So, thankfulness...kind of a convicting thought but I read the thought above somewhere, possibly on facebook actually, and it's made me reflect on my heart. I think I'm a pretty grateful person. I hope so anyway. I find my prayers have become less a list of "God could you's..." and more of a "Thank you for..." that is my desire anyway. I am awed by the abundance of blessings in my life.  Below is a small sampling of what I am thankful for in my life! Certainly not an exhaustive list.

Psalm 69:30 says,
"I will praise God's name in song and glorify Him with Thanksgiving."

Thankful for the gift of salvation. It was paid for by my loving Savior!
Thankful He loved me before I loved Him.
Thankful for the parents he chose for me.
Thankful He chose me for such a time as this.
Thankful for my brothers.
Thankful for Rick - what a gift he is to me.
Thankful for Hunter, Kyleigh, Addison and Preslie.
Thankful for the baby I never held this side of Heaven but will see one day.
Thankful for all my needs met each and every day!
Thankful for the many 'wants' He gives to me.
Thankful for my health and the health of my family.
Thankful for friends.
Thankful for laughter.
Thankful for forgiveness.
Thankful for music.
Thankful for His word.
Thankful for a warm bed and a beautiful home.
Thankful for the countless hugs from my kids.
Thankful for hearing the words, "I love you" throughout my day.
Thankful for chocolate!
Thankful for a church we love.
Thankful our family enjoys worshipping together each week!
Thankful for technology.
Thankful for Rick's unconditional and abundant love for me and our kids.
Thankful for Rick's job that God uses to provide for us.
Thankful for my freedom.
Thankful for mercies that are new every morning.
Thankful for safety.
Thankful for the beautiful view out back.
Thankful for gorgeous sunrises. Gorgeous sunsets!
Thankful for rainbows.
Thankful for memories - many new ones He brings to mind regularly.
Thankful for medicine he often uses to bring healing.
Thankful for phone calls.
Thankful for relationships.
Thankful for the gift of being home with my girls.
Thankful God has equipped me to teach.
Thankful for warm showers.
Thankful for the beauty in creation.
Thankful for the many, abundant blessings!

Happy Thanksgiving. This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it! Enjoy each moment of THIS day.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I always love your thought provoking posts. I'm with you on how Thanksgiving is kind of a forgotten or pushed-aside Holiday. It's my favorite and always makes me very sentimental. Love you, Mindi! Great seeing you this weekend!

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...