A few days ago Hunter approached me with something God had laid on his heart and as a mom I was humbled, grateful and slightly ashamed at my personal lack of boldness.
Hunter met a guy at college this semester who has become a very good friend. They have a lot in common and are just good buddies. Hunter has been burdened for his friend though, because he didn't know Jesus. This college experience has made Hunter question why he is at the college because it has been less than what he expected. He questioned how we could have all been so wrong when we believed this was the college he belonged. Over the past few weeks, Hunter and I had many talks about this and how God placed him there, for such a time as this, to meet this boy and be a Godly influence in his life. If that was the only reason God put him there then it was more than enough.
Hunter has been praying for his friend for months. He has told me he hopes the way he lives will be a testimony of his own walk with Christ. But we both knew that at some point he would also need to use words to share the gospel with his friend. Recently, he had the idea to get his friend a bible for Christmas and invited him to come to the Christmas program at our church. Thankfully, he didn't just ignore the thought but in obedience acted on it! We knew his friend would hear the real story of Christmas there and knew God was faithful. I've joined Hunter in praying for him asking God to give his friend ears to hear and a tender heart that would be receptive to Him.
So, Hunter selected a bible for his friend, had his name engraved on the cover, wrote a personal note on the inside and wrapped it to give his friend after the service.
The time had finally come...Last night our family and 3 of the kids friends loaded up in 2 vehicles to drive to church. We got there way early and enjoyed talking and laughing. After getting our seats we waited and the service began. It was amazing. God was there and while we sang I silently prayed for his friend and others there who may have never received the greatest gift of all....Jesus Christ. I knew Hunter was silently praying the same thing. At the end of the service the pastor read the story of Christmas and offered the gift of Jesus to anyone who may not know Him. As a church we prayed and he encouraged anyone who asked Jesus into their heart to be sure and tell someone!
When we got home his friend headed off to his own home. A few minutes later, Hunter came to me with tears in his eyes. He shared with me that his friend just sent him a message that he prayed the prayer for real, asking Jesus to be Lord of his life. Our family rejoiced with the angels! How awesome is our God?! How awesome that He lets us be a part of His work! How perfect is His timing!?
Sometime later his friend opened the gift Hunter gave him. He sent Hunter a message that it's the first bible he has ever had. He thanked him for inviting him to church. Oh how I pray Jesus will use His word to show this friend how much he is loved, how much Jesus wants his own personal relationship with him and I hope this friend will know he couldn't have given my son a better gift this Christmas!
SIMPLY.GRATEFUL.LIFE Keeping a record of God's goodness to me and being thankful for how richly blessed I am. He has been gracious to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don’t Miss
As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...
-
Preslie reached a milestone and we celebrated, despite the ice and snow covered roads. Having a birthday in January has it’s own set of c...
-
As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...
-
On our drive to the cancer center earlier this week, Rick and I discussed how this journey we've been on has had many prongs of attack. ...
No comments:
Post a Comment