A few weeks ago, during prime time mind you, the Victoria's Secret "fashion" Show was on television. We didn't watch. Rick and I had a conversation about it and how upside down our world is in so many ways. I certainly don't want that to be my standard, Rick's standard for me or the standard of our girls or what Hunter looks for in his wife. How disturbing it is that women feel pressure to look a certain way to be accepted. Accepted by whom? Then God spoke to my heart so clearly. THAT is not what I desire you to be I felt Him telling me. He cares so much more about the condition of my heart! God speaks much more about our heart than our bodies. He tells us in 1 Samual 16:7 that man looks at the outward appearance but God looks at the heart.
Don't get me wrong, I believe God wants us to treat our bodies in healthy ways. We are, afterall, told in Romans 12 to offer our bodies as living sacrificies, holy and pleasing to God as our spiritual act of worship. I completely believe we should take care of our bodies, eat right, exercise and be healthy but I don't for one minute believe our goal is to look like a Victoria's Secret Model. I'm not using this as a cop out to ease my guilt when I eat the extra cookie or fail to exercise. But I can't help but wonder if we spent half the time and energy on our hearts as we do on our outward appearances how much better off we'd be! How many people spend hours in the gym and countless dollars on diet programs but never open the word of God. So, I got to reading what God says about who He wants me to strive being. I can't do it without Him for sure. But this is my goal. I don't think God would have inspired these words if they were not relevant and attainable.
The Proverbs 31 Woman.
10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
SIMPLY.GRATEFUL.LIFE Keeping a record of God's goodness to me and being thankful for how richly blessed I am. He has been gracious to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don’t Miss
As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...
-
Preslie reached a milestone and we celebrated, despite the ice and snow covered roads. Having a birthday in January has it’s own set of c...
-
As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...
-
On our drive to the cancer center earlier this week, Rick and I discussed how this journey we've been on has had many prongs of attack. ...
1 comment:
I so needed to hear this today. I hate that show and have never watched it. Nor do I ever plan on watching it. I'm so grateful for mamas like you and daddys like Rick who refuse to input false standard in their children's lives. I'd much rather be a P31 woman than a VS woman any day!
Post a Comment