Saturday, March 24, 2012

It's the Little Things That Mean a Lot!

All week Rick and I had a Friday date planned. Nothing extravagant
but a nice dinner at our favorite spot, good conversation, wandering through some shops and something involving chocolate no doubt.

Hunter was in Nebraska playing baseball, Kyleigh was spending the night at a friends and Addison and Preslie were off to grandma's house. Addison began having queasy tummy an hour or so before our date. She thought she would be fine so we left her at grandmas and headed out, reluctantly. I was preoccupied checking on her via text as we wandered through the first shop. It became clear this date was doomed.

But something extraordinary happened. Thinking of us...our two older children sent text telling us to enjoy our date. I informed them Addi wasn't feeling stellar. Both responded that they were so sorry our plans were off. I love that they think of us.

I checked back with Addison for one final update before we headed to the restaurant or home. It was clear she wasn't feeling super so I told her we were on our way for her. She sent back this: :) ok!

So, plans adjusted. No big deal. Although we were disappointed, we really didn't mind. This is what moms and dads do! We drove through a fast food place, ate it on the way to get her and came up with plan b. We got home and got her settled in. She felt better being home in her bed and we felt better being with her.

A movie was rented, jammies were on and chocolate was eaten. We still enjoyed good conversation and a relaxing night together. A little change in plans but the night ended even better than I could imagine. At the end of the day I am most grateful for my little family! A family that loves one another and chooses to be friends. A group of people who more often than not step out of their own little world to invest in one another.

Sometime later, Kyleigh sent a text from her friends house checking on her sister, genuinely concerned about how she was feeling. A few minutes later Preslie also initiated a call to check. I told Rick, this is success. A family who loves one another! Sisters who are not only sisters by Gods design but friends by choice. Those seemingly little things mean a lot to this mama and daddy!

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...