Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Recurring Dream

I have had a recurring dream for as long as I can remember. There are several variations but it's generally the same theme and I have no doubt it means something. I wish I had tracked when it happens and what is going on in life when it occurs regularly. There is a pattern no doubt.

When I was teaching school and shortly after I 'retired' I had the following variation quite frequently. It went something like this. I had to run an errand during my lunch 30 minutes (teachers so do not get an hour lunch break). So I would leave to run my errand and then I couldn't get back to my students for some reason. I would be lost or detained somehow and in my dream I felt huge amounts of panic and that overwelming sense of responsibility that I somehow could not fulfill.

More recently, as in the past decade or so, I have this next variation more regularly. I am in high school (that in itself is a nightmare) or in college occasionally. Typically I am looking for one of two things. My locker or my classroom. On occasion I am without the necessary books for a particular class.

Last night I was walking the halls of my high school and searching for my locker. I was with Addison and she was helping me. We searched for so long and the halls were clearing out and I realized I was going to be so late. I felt panic in my dream. I finally find my locker and open it. I know some people are troubled by the dream of not remembering their locker combination. I don't have that part thankfully but often I am confused by the order of my schedule or location of my classes. Anyway, we opened my locker and it was chaos inside of it. I couldn't find the books I needed so we decided to just go to class without the books.

As the dream went on I am wandering the halls without a clue where my classroom is located. The floors and the room numbers were in no order and I could not make sense of where to go. When I finally found the class it was almost over and I had to go through the same thing all over again. Looking for my locker, then my books and then my classroom.

What does it mean!??! I am sure it is tied to things in my life right now. Selling our house, building a new one, planning for summer, colleges, curriculum, teaching, and just day to day life. I don't feel stressed in the least. I don't feel overwelmed or in chaos but somehow this recurring dream means something I am sure! Maybe tonight will be more restful - I hope so because between the exhausting dreams and the lost hour of sleep due to the time change, this girl is tired!

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...