So, in my quiet time I'm doing this amazing bible study about false/functional gods. It's been great! Have I mentioned that? Truly. It's freeing. I've not arrived but I'm on the road and for today, that's enough. I have had several 'aha' moments throughout this study but few bigger than the notion I had never really considered or said aloud. My life is not a fairytale. That may seem like a 'duh' but I realized that when I get frustrated and wallow in pity, if even for a moment, that it's because for that moment, my idol is the fairytale. How I pictured something in my head. Then, gettting bent out of shape because at that moment my life isn't the perfect image I created in my head!! No! It should not be so. The idol of the fairytale will no longer steal from me one moment of this great life God has blessed me with. In reality, I am fully convinced that what I actually get to live out is far better.
My life consists of all the moments that make up each day. It's the spilled koolaid, the endless laundry, meals to prepare, bills to pay, weeds to pluck, messes to pick up, forgotten keys/phones/purses, bickering, things not done 'my way', dirt tracked in, horrible drivers, and on and on. No more will I see these things the same way. They are a part of each day and no longer will they steal my joy for one second.
Fortunately, life is also about sleepy 9 years olds who still want to be held and rocked first thing in the morning. It's 15 year olds who choose to sit and visit with me while I prepare dinner. Twelve year olds who loved to be tucked in with lots of blankets, hugs and prayers each night. It's 20 year olds who climb up on bunk beds to watch Elf with their sister in October. A husband who wants to come home to see me each day at lunch - even when it's not convenient for him. Phone calls from sweet friends. An unexpected note in the mail. Sunday family dinners. Hundreds more. It's all the sweet moments tucked in between the minor frustrations in life. The sweet moments that far outnumber and outweigh the minor frustrations of life.
I will not selfishly live in the fairytale world for one moment and miss all the wonderful things God has for me each and every day! How grateful I am for this life and the people God has graciously blessed me with!
SIMPLY.GRATEFUL.LIFE Keeping a record of God's goodness to me and being thankful for how richly blessed I am. He has been gracious to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don’t Miss
As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...
-
Preslie reached a milestone and we celebrated, despite the ice and snow covered roads. Having a birthday in January has it’s own set of c...
-
As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...
-
On our drive to the cancer center earlier this week, Rick and I discussed how this journey we've been on has had many prongs of attack. ...
No comments:
Post a Comment