Little did I know that the afternoon would be the closest our family has ever come to a devasting tornado. God knew. He put these words of His on my mind and in my heart during my quiet time that morning. He would remind me of them later in the day and calm our fears and comfort us as I meditated on them.
Mid-afternoon the skies began looking stormy. I'm not one to get too worked up but this day, the skies were different. So, at 3:30 I sent the girls out to feed the horses. I was visiting on the phone with a friend as I kept one eye on the TV weatherman. Fifteen minutes later I decided it would be wise to start getting a plan together in case this wasn't just a threat, but instead a reality. Unfortunately, in Oklahoma we all to often are warned of impending storms and the weather forecasters tend to dramatize. Most Oklahomans can be found on their front porches watching the skies when warnings are issued. Me included.
However, earlier on Monday the city of Moore had been badly hit and I think many of us took the threat a bit more serious. I've only sought shelter one time that I can remember. I was in 2nd or 3rd grade when a tornado threat was taken seriously by my parents and we went three houses down to my aunt and uncles storm shelter in their basement. Monday, we would seek shelter for the 2nd time in all my life.
The storm tracker had the storm arrival time for 4:23 through Ramona. However, my oldest brother began calling me around 4:00 saying they are marking the storm to hit road 3500 and head our way. Hmmm. So, the kids and I began rallying and making preparations. Rick was headed home but was having to pull off due to the heavy downpours of rain. He desperately wanted to get home to us but was having a hard time making it. Around 4:10 he decided to seek shelter 3 miles away.
I kept watching out the windows deciding if we were overreacting or not being cautious enough. I prayed and asked God to protect our family and let the storm pass by. I prayed His angels would surround us. I prayed the verses he had shown me earlier in the day. Then I decided to do our part. The skies just looked so bizarre. The reports kept coming in and if they were right, the conditions were right for a tornado near us - too near us. So, we all gathered in the girls bathroom. Me, four kids, 2 gerbils and a dog.
Then I took one last look out back and saw the craziest thing I'd ever seen. There were hundreds of twisting funnels behind our house. They were twisting and swirling and the entire sky was spinning. It wasn't a tornado or a funnel, just hundreds of spinning streamer looking things. At that point I went and stayed in the bathroom til it passed. I opened my bible and read aloud Psalm 91 and shortly after I got a phone call that the storm had passed by.
I know for cetain God protected our family. No one was hurt, no damage had been done.

No comments:
Post a Comment