In Genesis 50, we read about Joseph, who had been betrayed, sold and estranged by his brothers. After many, many years and no easy journey, Joseph meets face to face with them again. They fear his anger and wrath but Joseph's heart never grew bitter. He held onto no anger or resentment. His heart was tender toward his brothers and through forgiveness there was also reconciliation. He says in Genesis 50:20 "As for you, you meant evil against me, BUT GOD meant it all for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today."
I think we all have a 'but God' in our lives. I know my personal journey has many. Possibly the biggest being ten years ago, when I certainly had a 'but God' event. I don't believe cancer comes from God. I don't believe He uses sickness to discipline or teach us lessons. God is love. He has great plans for each of us and He is merciful. However, I did get the cancer diagnosis and yet I can say, not once did He ever leave me. He already had so many provisions in place for me and opened doors I never knew I'd walk through. What satan meant for evil, God used for good...my good! I am grateful!
However, there is another verse that trumps that verse...2 Chronicles 16:9 says, For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him. But God!! I love it! It's a heart issue.
October has always been one of my very favorite months of the year, yet, I confess that it also can cast a shadow of dread. Maybe not dread so much as by months end I can find myself weary. A month that used to be characterized by orange, yellow, red and all the colors of fall is now a shade of pink. Pink ribbons on everything from eggs to car commercials and everything in between. Certainly, Susan G Komans life and journey have been used in countless ways to preserve and save lives. I'm grateful for the awareness, support, financial backing and medical research. But, I will say, I have grown to be glad that November 1st ushers in more orange, yellow and red and the pink ribbons fade away.
As I journeyed through the last decade, there've been endless times I've remembered the 'but God' moments. I assure you there have been many. He has been faithful to me in so many ways I can't begin to recount them all in this moment. What satan meant for harm, God used it all for good. Just as Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purposes."
Certainly, enormous good has come from the events of the last decade. I'm not the same person I once was. He bestows a crown of beauty from ashes (Isaiah 61). He makes all things new. He has been faithful to me over and over! I am both beyond and simply grateful He continues to extend my life here on earth. He is merciful! I am thankful for the 'but God' moments in my life and in His word. When we come to moments of uncertainty we must remember 'but God' and know He will never leave or forsake!
Other 'but God' verses: 1 Corinthians 1:26-27, 1 Corinthians 3:6-7, 1 Corinthians 10:13, Nehemian 9:17, Romans 5:8, Acts 13:29-30
No comments:
Post a Comment