Monday, June 2, 2014

The Struggle is Real

I decided my summer project (because what's summer without one) would be to catch up on the kids scrapbooks. When I began scrapbooking in 1994, I don't know that I really thought it through completely.  I had one child and lots of extra time. I would snap pictures, print pictures, crop pictures and using adhesive that would far outlive any of us, I would paste them in to an album with pages that would also far outlive us. A couple times a month I would go to a scrapbooking party and spend hours and hours keeping Hunter's book current. Then Kyleigh arrived. Then Addison. Then Preslie. I think I greatly underestimated the amount of time staying current would require.

But, I'm determined (as a 3rd born child), that my last child would have a full and complete scrapbook just as the older child. Granted, she doesn't have the mulititude of pictures we have of Hunter, but there are plenty! 

Having 4 children is only part of the struggle in keeping up with the scrapbooking. Life does not stop (thankfully) just because my books are not current. Life and events continue to be captured on my camera. But, another problem has arisen in the meantime.  

Digital cameras. Oh Lawd!

Out with dropping a roll of film off at Wal-mart and having those tangible prints in my hot little hands. No, in came downloading pictures onto the computer never to be touched again. Until, one day,  I would sit down and upload them to a printing sight to be printed. But, those days never really came. 

Until now. Last week I was lamenting to Rick over the fact that my last scrapbook pages for any of the kids was 2007. Seven years of life for four children has yet to be scrapbooked. The events are in my heart and memories, but I desperately need them to be in beautifully scrapbooked albums. About that same time, I began this blog. I realized in 2008 I had to have some sort of recording of life. I can go back in the blog and relive. But, honestly, I repeat. I need to have pictures and documentation in their books. 

So, as I visited with Rick of my dilemma, he suggested putting the pictures from the computer onto a disc and taking the disc to the printing center. Brilliant I thought! Then, one of the girls suggested we do the same thing, but on a flashdrive. Even more brilliant!! Welcome to the 21st century Rick and Mindi! 

So, yesterday afternoon, I sat at the computer for 6+ hours and began with Hunter. Kyleigh gave me a quick 'how-to' on using the flashdrive and off I went!  She sat on the couch nearby watching some crazy series and I put 363 pictures from the last 7 years onto the flashdrive. My back ached, but my heart was happy! Now, the printing will begin. Then the scrapbooking. I cannot wait! 

This week is Addison's birthday. Yet another event to scrapbook : ) As I flipped through files of pictures,  I sometimes laughed and sometimes cried, but most of all I was reminded I have been greatly blessed with a lifetime of life! All in my memory and many in pictures. Ones I cherish so much I can't express it. I had joy and moments of heartache as I relived this wonderful life through pictures. Even though the pictures are real and tangible, they still don't compare to the memories etched in my heart and mind. I can see the picture and feel like I'm right back in that moment. What a gift from God. 

As we prepare to celebrate Addison's 14th birthday this week, these seem appropriate.

Addi's 1st birthday. We still laugh at this picture. We didn't know if she was upset with the white vs chocolate cake, the singing to her or the attention she was getting. Either way, tears before smiles.
Addi's 2nd birthday. A replay of her 1st. Tears before smiles. 
Birthday 3 - finally no tears, just smiles. 

What a precious child. I miss this 3 year old, but what a joy of a 13 year old she is to me!






No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...