In each situation, the leader or teacher came into the class with lots of candy. He asked the group who would like it. Everyone shouts and raises their hands in anticipation. But, he says that before they can receive the gift, there was a cost. One person was selected beforehand as the 'sacrificial lamb'- The price In each case ...push-ups. Hundreds of them.
The 'sacrificial lamb' began doing the required amount of push-ups for each child represented. With each push-up was more sweat and exhaustion and an interesting thing happened in the crowd. People were less anxious to receive the gift. Seeing the pain and sacrifice that it cost someone else to give the gift. It cost something. In this case just some physical pain and exhaustion. For our Savior, the gift cost so much more. Our perfect, holy Savior gave His very life. A 'free' gift to those of us who choose to receive it. But, never forgetting, it cost Him everything.
Some of the kids, many, refused the candy. But, the truth was told to them that the price has been paid. The gift has been 'paid for' whether they choose to accept it or not. Some chose to accept. Others did not. Some wanted to do their own push-ups to pay. But, it was a gift. Not to be earned, paid for by us or achieved through our own effort or good works.
He laid His life down and He asked His Father to forgive those who crutified Him. Salvation and forgiveness are linked. Neither to be taken lightly. Both given to be received so we can walk in freedom.
So, forgive them - even if they're not sorry.
From an early age we taught our children to approach those they'd sinned against with a two-fold concept. I modeled it often because as a parent, I mess up. I need to apologize and ask to be forgiven. The concept is simple, but not eaasy.
Apologize for the action/word/wrong attitude and ask the other person to forgive. It would go something like "_______ I'm sorry I said mean things to you. Will you please forgive me?" The other person (hopefully and eventually) would say 'Yes, I forgive you." Saying 'it's okay" often gives the wrong message. It's not okay to hurt another. But, we all do it and for both people to heal it's important to say and hear those very important words.
Sometimes, most of the time, the feelings are not there at the moment, but they always follow. Sometimes I find that extending forgiveness can be as difficult as asking to be forgiven. But, my experience has taught me that people who love Jesus live a life of asking and extending forgiveness regularly.
The people who don't, typically leave a trail of broken relationships and tossed away friendships - and sometimes even family members.
Last week I was short with someone when they didn't respond the way I wanted them to. I made a choice in the moment to let my frustration be known. I knew I'd been less than kind even though I didn't say a word. My body language spoke loud enough. I knew if I didn't apologize and ask her to forgive me there would be division and our relationship would suffer. I didn't want that to happen.
Unforgiveness and pain. I knew I needed to humble myself and ask this person to forgive me. Ironically, she happens to be a lady I serve with in Bible Study. So, I called her on the phone. I confessed my wrong heart attitude and actions and asked her to please forgive me.
An amazing thing happened. She not only quicly accepted my apology and our relationship was restored, but she also encouraged me by saying that too often she struggles with the very same attitude when people don't meet her expectations. She said she was challenged to follow my example. But, really, we both know my example is only a small glimpse of what Jesus did. He has forgiven so much on my behalf. He set the example for me. He showed me how to do it! I'm awed by the truth that He bore my sin. How arrogant of me to not forgive others. He forgave so much more! Still does.
Many years ago, a friend close to me hurt my feelings. She called me and confessed and asked forgiveness. I gave it. Humbled she cared enough about me and our relationship to reach out. Our relationship is healthy and thriving. I am grateful for her and the example she sets for me in so many areas and so many ways. True friendship that has stood the test of time. Two imperfect friends held together by the love of Jesus. Those are friendships worth investing. A cord of three strands is not easily broken.
This season of Christmas is the perfect time to receive the gift He paid dearly for. The God of all creation gave His one and only Son for me. For you. The gift is free to us but cost Him all.
No comments:
Post a Comment