Our mailbox, both physical and email, is constantly bombarded these days. College and high school graduation announcements and to do's. Yesterday we received enrollment information for fall of 2015. I realized I'll only be enrolling one, not two. Senior deadlines are fast approaching. Endless scholarship apps and college deadlines as well. Some days I want to scream. Others cry and push pause. Or better yet, rewind.
There are other things I just need to deal with, like it or not, but I've been somewhat consumed with thinking on things that may never happen. I think that's called worry. That has stolen way too much from me. And that absolutely must be dealt with today.
One of the greatest pieces of advice my dad would tell me is not to let my thoughts destroy my peace of mind. I tend to think on every possible scenerio of every person in my family. The 'what if's' the 'what if nots' and while I know the truth of God's word and how it applies to my life, I tend to fall into the pit of worry, concern and over-thinking.
I've chosen the word TRUST as my one word for the year. A word I know God will transform my thoughts with. He's already beginning. A precious woman in my bible study shared this thought last week - I've been thinking on it often since. Failing to trust God is a form of unbelief. Yikes. I know He will not fail and He cannot lie. He is more than worthy of my love and trust in all things. With everyone I love, He can be trusted. He loves them more. So, I'm praying more. Not small, safe prayers either. Prayers that stretch my faith and put my trust where it belongs. He is at work in me and in the people I love. I can trust that!! I know He will work all things for the good of those of us who love Him and are called unto His purpose.
As I was praying and laying my burden's for my people at His feet today, I was thinking on an old hymn I sang many times growing up. It holds such truth and assurance and when I apply it, believe the truth in it, it provides His peace to my ever-over-thinking mind.
- What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer! - Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
Take it to the Lord in prayer. - Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there. - Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised
Thou wilt all our burdens bear;
May we ever, Lord, be bringing
All to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright, unclouded,
There will be no need for prayer—
Rapture, praise, and endless worship
Will be our sweet portion there.
So, we've all got today. Me and you. We have 1,440 minutes to spend. Take out the 480 I use sleeping and that leaves less than 1000 minutes to spend on the people I love today. I don't want to waste one, yet I do. I wonder if someone gave me $1,440 each day in cash money if I would cash it in on the things I do. Hmmmm
This world we live in is constantly distracting us and tempting us to fall into traps. Traps of sacrificing the eternal for the temporary. For the relevant for the irrelevant. Far too many are sacrificing living their very own lives and instead watching others live their lives via social media when most of what we see out there is just a smoke screen. A highlight real, but not reality. How many spend more time on their phones than face to face.
I know I can't press pause or rewind on this life. This today. Life is for living and while I do not enjoy winter and the cold, I can't seem to wish it away because I know with each passing day we'll be closer to a season I'm not ready to embrace. Fortunately, I don't need His grace to deal with that today. Today, our life looks like this. One boy about to embark on college graduation. Three girls right here under our roof getting up and around for school. Three cars in the garage and five of us around the dinner table each night. Many things mixed in the middle of rising in the morning and laying down in the night. Great conversations, laughter and life. I'm not ready for this to change. But, when the day comes for one more chick to leave the nest, His grace and His strength will be sufficient for me. And for us. And, He will be there. I will not get to a place where He is not. I'm thankful there is nothing, good or bad, we have to walk through alone.
So, roughly six months from today, our lives, or our home at the very least, will look and feel different. That season will have some wonderful things about it but there will be one less girl here getting up and around. One less car in the garage and one less person at our dinner table. It's just temporary. That too will change and with each season there is beauty to embrace.
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens. Ecclesiastes 3:1
No comments:
Post a Comment