Monday, April 20, 2015

18 Years Ago

I know exactly what I was doing 18 years ago today. Waiting. 

We'd waited so long for the news that we were expecting a 2nd child. It had been several years later than I'd planned. But, as always, His ways are higher and greater! I'm thankful He planned this second child for exactly the best time.

But, 18 years ago, we found ourselves waiting again. Five days past her due date we wondered how long she'd keep us waiting. But then, Sunday night, April 20, Rick, Hunter and I were having Sunday dinner with Mom, Dad and Shawn. Just like every Sunday. Mom had made pork chops and all the sides. We visited and laughed and talked much of when the long awaited child would come.

After dinner we sat in chairs on the driveway to watch Hunter ride his bike and play outside. Storms were coming and the sky had an abundance of big, lurking clouds. I began to feel the beginnings of labor as we enjoyed our time outside. As the evening went on, it became more and more apparent that Kyleigh was finally on her way. 

Around 9:30 that evening we drove out to the country to relax a little. The clouds continued to build but no rain came. Fortunately, that was not true of our baby. Knowing she would likely be in our arms before morning, we went home and started to prepare. We got Hunter to bed and we packed bags, called Mom and Dad to give the update and I decided to take a shower. 

Around 11:00 pm the labor pains became much closer together  - about 5 minutes apart so I hurridly dried my hair, applied make-up and called Mom and Dad to come over. Thankfully, we lived right across the street so they came and stayed with Hunter while we settled into our hospital room. The three of them came up around midnight and at 1:39 a.m. Kyleigh arrived!

 Our arms and our hearts were full! 

Just a few minutes old
Seeing his baby sister for the very first time! Suddenly by 4 year old seemed so old and so big!

I am grateful to have these precious memories hidden in my heart and mind! I am thankful. 

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...