This week Preslie attended Kanakuk Kampout at Grace Community Church. There were 140 kids ages 5-12 at camp and she had an incredible week. Being her first camp experience, we were all a little unsure how it would look. But, as always, God does immeasurably more than we (I) can think or imagine. He's always doing more than I realize.
Preslie was out of her comfort zone in every single way. She did hard things. She was brave. She made new friends. She fought through fears and nerves and anxious feelings. She overcame. Not on her own. Jesus gave her strength and courage to do things that were far outside her level of normal. At such a young age, she has learned that she can do all things through Christ who gives her strength. What great plans He has for her!
I'm so thankful she had this wonderful opportunity to make new friends, enjoy camp and deepen her love for Jesus.
I sort of see this beast as Goliath. Preslie was a little like David. As much as she wanted to climb that rock wall and zip down the zipline - she had to battle through. She had all she needed to win, but it woulnd't be without effort. And courage. Tuesday was her day to try. She did the rock wall and experienced victory. But, that zipline. She could not bring herself to do it. The climb up the stairs and stepping off the platform paralized her with fear. We read and prayed scriptures about fear, courage, overcoming. Friends prayed and encouraged. Her camp counselors encouraged and supported. We knew she'd have another chance.
Thursday was pouring rain. But, she was determined and it was her last opportunity to try the zipline. She climbed up those steps with her counselor by her side. Tears streaming down her face. Once she reached the top she stepped off that ledge and left those fears behind. She cried all the way down in the pouring rain and got to the bottom to celebrate! What a building block. What a great memorial marker for her to look back on and remember God's faithfulness.
I learn so much being a mom to these four amazing kids God has given me to steward and love. They teach me things every single day. How often I need to step off and let go in order to move past something. To overcome. Preslie literally had to step out of her place of safety and confort. That I would have the faith and courage to step out of my comfort zone. To move past the safe things and step out in faith.
As they say, the best fruit is out on the limb. How often I want to just pick one up that has fallen on the ground. I don't want to live life being safe. Being comfortable. Settling for okay. I never want to trade the ultimate for the immediate. I pray my kids will live life trusting God to work big things in and through them.
This is her camp counselor, Ryan. What a gift.
At closing ceremonies they gave out a 110% award for campers who gave all they had in every thing all week. They also gave out the Honor Camper award. For kids who put God 1st, others 2nd and themselves 3rd. Preslie received this award for the older level girls.
I am awed. She was honored. God is glorified.
Preslie received a bumble bee award for being brave and conquering her fear on the zipline. She received the Honor Camper award and then she received an award for her tent specifiically.
Her counselor wrote:
Preslie's smile lights up a room. Her positive outlook is a delight to experience and through Jesus she pushes herself to grow each day.
She chose Proverbs 17:22 for her verse. This verse has a special place in my heart. In late May, a dear, sweet friend died. She was 99 years old. She'd been a part of our lives since Hunter was 8 years old. Preslie and I'd continued to go visit her and were looking forward to celebrating her 100th birthday in August. Her life verse was Proverbs 17:22. I have it marked in my bible. I don't think it's an accident that Ryan chose this verse to pray and commit to Preslie.
I thank God for Kanakuk camp counselors who poured into our kids this week and every week. What a huge blessing this was to Preslie! And me.
I am, as always, simply grateful.






No comments:
Post a Comment