Thursday, April 21, 2016

Kyleigh


Our first born daughter is 19 years old today! It was fun to think back about her birth-night 19 years ago. It was a Sunday and we'd eaten dinner with Mom and Dad, like we did most every Sunday. It was a beautiful night. After dinner, we all sat on their driveway to visit while Hunter rode his bike. I was having pretty regular contractions, but knew we had hours before we needed to go to the hospital. After the sunset, we went for a drive in the country near a friends house. I remember the skies being full of big, fluffly clouds. 

Around 8:30, we got back home and got Hunter ready for bed. He was anxious, but tired. That night he wanted to sleep in his teepee set up in his room. By 11pm I knew the labor was real, she was several days past due already! (some things do not change)  I showered and hollered out to Rick every time I'd have a contraction. There were a few moments I thought we might be pushing it too close. I got dressed, fixed my hair and applied make-up! HA! Mom and Dad came over to stay with Hunter until we got checked in. Soon after arriving at the hospital we let them know it wouldn't be long! They brought Hunter up around 1:00 a.m. and 39 minutes later, she arrived. 

Healthy and beautiful and long awaited. 

Hunter coming to see Kyleigh for the 1st time! She was only 25 minutes old and he was so happy! He had prayed many times for a baby sister. The nurses were sweet! She was the only baby that night so Hunter got to be back with them while the bathed and dressed her. It was such fun for him. That night we became a family of four. Amazing. 

Because April can get pretty hectic in our family, we have to celebrate when and how we can! It's hard to adequately celebrate birthdays if we're not careful and deliberate. We celebrated my moms birthday earlier this month. Kyleigh's birthday is today! While most years, we all get our own day, there are years we combine and celebrate together. This year will be that way. We tend to have birth-weeks rather than birth-days.


This is 1999, Kyleigh was 2, I was 33 and Shawn (who has a bday 5 days after me) was 39. Ky wasn't unhappy - just somber. Always. My dad called her 'the judge' because of it. 

So, we will properly celebrate this weekend, but we had a little mini-bday last night because she has class until 9pm on her birthday and Colten works this weekend and Hunter won't be home until Friday. I made her a favorite dinner and her favorite carrot cake! Trisha Yearwood's recipe and Garth (and Gaut family) approved! It's divine. 

She and Rick are laughing about something. I love this look because it's one we see often! Laughter.


Happy Birthday, Kyleigh! You were prayed for and wanted long before we ever held you! Sure am grateful God chose us to be your mom and dad. We love you more than you know. You are extraordinary and it's fun watching you become all God intended. I wouldn't change a thing! 

You are loved - <3 Mom


No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...