The girls and I had some wedding errands to run. We decided to stop into a small and quaint place to eat some lunch. As we walked to our table, one of us knocked over the cane of a not so pleasant man sitting at the table nearby. We smiled, apologized, set it back up and went about looking at the menu. He was less than gracious. I mentioned to the girls that some people just have hurt and unhappy hearts. Kyleigh knew him from her job at HC and had found him to be unpleasant, despite her consistent smiles and greetings. His typical response was rough and unkind.
On this particular day, she didn't speak. It's hard to keep reaching out and being rejected by the hurting people of this world even when we know we should. I get it. But, she wished she had.
Not long after we arrived, Rick walked in. He didn't know we were there, but saw our car outside and stopped in. It was fun to have a fun little impromptu lunch at a place I hadn't eaten for 20 years. And, just another thing I love about our little, not so little, hometown. You run into people.
When Rick walked in, he spoke to the man and the man replied. Rick shared with us a story of an unpleasant encounter he had with this man several years ago. But Rick is kind. Always. And he didn't let it detour him from extending grace, a smile and a kind word. It was obvious, the man made the connection between knowing Rick and knowing Kyleigh. I wondered if he also regretted not speaking or extending a smile.
Because the room is small you can't help but overhear conversations. We overheard the owner discussing with the man his plans after lunch. His wife clearly has some memory and physical issues. He is no doubt, her sole caregiver. The man was patient and kind to her. Until you know the backstory of people, it's hard to understand why they are the way they are at times. But, more and more I am learning that some people have just been beat up so long that they just hurt. And it overflows. Not an excuse, but certainly an explanation. I think he's been this way quite a long time. But, the truth is he's just endured some things that have no doubt left him bitter. And, maybe if people extended some extra kindness to him, he'd soften. Only God can change the heart, but I think he wants us to do our part.
Kyleigh mentioned over the course of the lunch that she regretted not smiling and speaking. The man and his wife left, Addi couldn't move past how it was the saddest thing she'd seen and we all agreed that we just have to live without regret. Don't hold back the kindness. Risk being rejected. Love without boundaries. Not carelessly or reckless, but people need some love!
Lunch ended and we headed to run the remainder of our errands but we all had him on our minds. We stopped at Walmart last to pick up groceries. As we pushed our cart to the door, low and behold, the man was walking toward us. No wife, just him. And as we approached him, we smiled and he smiled. We stopped and briefly talked about their trip to get ice cream. There was softening.
The girls and I completely agreed that this was not a coincidence. That was God's grace. A divine appointment. Giving us, and this man, a chance for a do-over. I think we all wanted it, needed it and I know we are grateful to have had it! I bet he is as well. Because life is just sweeter when people are kind.
As the old saying goes, 'be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is facing a battle you know nothing about' -
SIMPLY.GRATEFUL.LIFE Keeping a record of God's goodness to me and being thankful for how richly blessed I am. He has been gracious to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don’t Miss
As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...
-
Preslie reached a milestone and we celebrated, despite the ice and snow covered roads. Having a birthday in January has it’s own set of c...
-
As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...
-
On our drive to the cancer center earlier this week, Rick and I discussed how this journey we've been on has had many prongs of attack. ...
No comments:
Post a Comment