I am officially HALF-WAY though with chemo!! PTL!
It’s ironic to me that I’d have two of my four chemo treatments during “Breast Cancer Awareness” month! Believe me, I’m aware and yet, the month has been a great one in many ways. I have made an intentional choice to take back this month and not despise the pink overload. Every day is a gift - as cliche as that may sound - so I want to enjoy and live each day the best of my ability.
I am awed, absolutely awed, at how gracious, merciful and compassionate God has been toward me during this month especially. Simply awed. And I think when we pray and trust God with our lives, we should be awed at His work. But not surprised. He is always faithful.
One of my favorite scripture references is from Exodus. In Exodus 33, Moses is having an encounter with God. It’s too rich to retell you everything here, so I hope you’ll go read it for yourself, but one of the best and just truly foundational parts to knowing WHO God is is told here in these chapters of Exodus!
God tells Moses that He knows him by name and has favor in His sight. So, boldly, Moses asks God to show him His ways, that he may know he’s found favor in His sight. God tells him that he will send His presence with Moses and give him rest - that's part of the showing. Moses replies that unless He goes with him, to not bring them up from there. A few verses later Moses asks God to show him His glory. And the encounter and foundational faith truths are just amazing!
Do you know what God does?! He says to Moses “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The Lord’ and I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.”
God tells Moses he can’t see His face and live so God literally places Moses in the cleft of the rock, covers him with His hand so he can stand there while His very glory passes by. Then He removes His hand so Moses can see His back.
Then, Moses is commissioned to make two new tablets and God gives him the things he is to do. Moses does what God has told him and then the next morning the Lord descended in the cloud and stood with Moses and proclaimed, “The Lord, The Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty...”
This verse is one of the most re-quoted verses in all of the Bible. It can be found over a dozen times. It speaks of WHO God is - His very character. I read a book recently by John Mark Comer called, God has a Name and I highly recommend it if you want to know more about God’s character based on these verses. But, additionally, also highly recommend The Bible Project Character of God podcast because these guys are brilliant and you will learn so much if you listen.
Anyway, the point being ~ God is compassionate, gracious, merciful and I am so thankful that He has been pouring that out on my life and I just give Him all the glory, honor and praise! I don't deserve it. I can't earn it or repay it. It's because of His goodness! All God.
And the thing is, even if I was not receiving such amazing mercy and grace - that is still who God is according to His word. My circumstances- good or bad- do not change the character and the truth of who God was, is and will always be!
I had my second treatment on Thursday and my bloodwork was excellent and in the words of my doctors head nurse - I’m rocking this!
And, I am, by the grace of God alone! He has strengthened and upheld me and given me a resilient body and I’m simply grateful.
I feel fantastic and have really ramped up my water consumption so I can stay well hydrated and help keep headaches at bay and so far - so good! I haven’t had a headache and while I’m a little on the tired side - I’m doing all the normal things I typically do! So grateful.
Addi and I have walked our dogs 2 miles each of the past three days and the fresh air and bright sunshine has been medicinal as well.
All of my chemo cubby buddies were males this time which I found unusual. Certainly appear to be more women receiving chemo than men. Most of them were quite a bit older and slept the majority of the time I was there, so I didn’t make any great connections, but my head chemo nurse was also a male who had an additional certification in breast health so that was interested. He had a lot of knowledge and shared a tip to help me not have fingernail issues such as browning, ridges or lifting that can occur with one of the drugs - Tea Tree Oil. One drop on each nail one time a day! So you better believe I’ve started that because I’d really like to prevent nail issues if possible.
So, we head into November with grateful hearts! Be thankful.
For all of you praying for me and my family...thank you. We appreciate your prayers, calls, notes, meals and kindnesses more than you can know.
All for His glory ~
Mindi
No comments:
Post a Comment