Friday, October 23, 2020

Fear is not the boss of me

When I was little I vividly remember hearing something that created fear in me and just last week it was finally resolved. Some child had been bitten by a rabid dog and that in itself was terrifying to me as a child, but the treatment for that really was too much. Shots in the stomach?!   All I knew was I would do whatever it took to avoid being bit by a dog so that shots in my stomach would never be a reality. 

And what happened then, and what happens far too often now, is we only get part of the story. No one finished the story of what that was like, how it felt, and why it was done that way. Clearly, for whatever reason, I never asked for the rest of the story, but instead lived in fear. 

So, for all of my life I've filled in the blanks and made assumptions that giving someone shots in the stomach was just some cruel joke that added misery to their already horrid situation. 

Kids do that - they fill in the blanks of stories with a reality that may or may not be truth. It would be wonderful if as adults, we took time to finish stories and explain things a bit more and rid the child of so much ambiguity that too often leads to fear. 

Fear is a stronghold. I've lived in fear, far too long, of far too much. No more. 

The day after chemo I go in for a shot to boost the white blood counts. The nurse tells me that I can get the shot in my arm, OR she could give it in my stomach. Being the rational person I am I think arm, for sure. 

Now, I'm learning something about myself. I am not curious enough. I do not ask questions and I'm trying to be better about that because there is just simply a lot of things I don't know. 

So, before committing to the arm, I ask her why in the world would anyone want to have a shot in their stomach? She explained that the medicine goes in slowly and they found that the stomach is much less painful than the arm! Less pain - well, why wouldn't that be the lead of the story of the child receiving rabies treatment?! That is valuable information. 

How many things do we treat that way!? It was an act of mercy to give the shot in the stomach - it was less painful physically, but most of the time the head prevents us from receiving what God intends. 

It seems that most things are worse in our mind and that's the place there we must overcome first. And misunderstanding or having partial information can be debilitating. Fear provoking. 

Philippians 4 says this ~ Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. 

And the PEACE of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

Always - even through chemo, loss, our world, prodigals 

All - all means all

Anything - elections, health, finances, relationships, today, tomorrow

Everything- all the above - anything on your mind, every concern

And you know we get ~  when we, with thanksgiving - and listen no matter how dire our situations - there is ALWAYS much to be thankful~ Always

 ~ we get the very peace of God. And you know what that peace does -

 Peace, His very peace,  guards our hearts and it guards our minds. 

So, I raised my shirt and I got that shot in my stomach, because all through this journey I am dealing, facing and conquering things that have far too long held me back from the life God has called me to live.

His will...Life abundant. Free of fear and full of faith, hope, and love ~ full of thanksgiving. If He didn't expect us to conquer fear, then why did He address it so often!? 

Do not be afraid is said in the Bible 45+ times. Fear not 145+ and I think we should pay attention and start living like that! When He says "Do not murder" we obey that, right? So, should we any less obey the 'do not be afraid' command? 

Turns out, getting a shot in my stomach was less painful than a shot in the arm and it was just no big deal. Certainly less of a big deal than it had been in my mind the past 40 years. Gracious. 

I also got our my husbands clippers and put a 1" guard on and I shaved my hair off. Not surprisingly, it was also less painful than having it fall in clumps and handfuls onto the floor. It's short and it doesn't look like me, but I'm no longer afraid of losing my hair. 

I'm finding the fear is worse than the reality. 

God gives us grace to deal with our reality - not our fear of what ifs and what might be.

Abe Lincoln is quoted to have said 'If I am killed, I can die but once; but to live in constant dread of it, is to die over and over again.' 

And I think that goes for fear. I read a quote this week that said the thing we fear most is the thing we trust God with the least. OUCH! I confess that's true for me in some areas and knowing that forces me to make adjustments and it starts in my mind.

Do not be conformed to the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -  His good, pleasing and perfect will!! Romans 12

So, let's stop being fearful.  Facing the fears is like the child afraid of what they think might be under the bed or in the closet. The fear fades when you turn on the light. That's the way it is - light illuminates as it was intended to do and when we bring things into the light darkness loses its power. 

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1:5

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Joshua 1

All for His glory - 

Mindi






No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...