Sunday, January 3, 2021

Suffering

As humans, we have all struggled with the why's of the world at some point in our lives. Especially, things like why people suffer has to be at the top of the list. I've been studying John 9 over the past several days and in the story, a man is born blind and he encounters Jesus.

The disciples, walking with Jesus, ask Him why this man has been born blind. Did he sin? Was it his parents? But, Jesus says neither of these, but a greater purpose. He says, "this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."

In other words, that God may be glorified. Glorified - honored; exalted

Then, as is typical of Jesus, He sees the man and has compassion on him. And His compassion moves Him to act. Always.  Jesus makes a mud from His spit and the dust of the earth and anoints the mans eyes, tells him to wash in the pool of Siloam and the man was healed. Physically no longer blind. He later goes on to do a much greater work in the man when the man believes in Jesus as Savior and is given eternal life in His name. 

So, suffering and sin. So many times it's linked and of course we know and can certainly see the world is full of sin. We know the wages of sin is death. Jesus died and conquered death and sin on the cross. But, we live in a fallen world and sin is alive and well. However, our sin is not always the reason we suffer in this world. A greater purpose. 

That the work of God might be displayed in lives! That's what Jesus did. He suffered an agonizing death on the cross that the glory of God might be displayed in and through Him.

A few chapters over in John 11 we read the story of Mary, Martha and their brother Lazarus. The sisters go to Jesus and tell him 'the one you love is sick' and when Jesus heard he said, 'the sickness will not end in death. No, it's for God's glory, so that God's Son may be glorified through it.' 

Our suffering is so the glory of God can be seen! He is always at work and he has not forgotten His children. 

We all sin and fall short of the glory of God. 

Wrestling with sin and suffering is common to man. I've certainly done my share of wrestling. I don't have all the answers tied up with a neat little bow. But, I've gotten to a place where I have a history with God and I am learning His character and I'm satisfied and am resting in Him and the sufficiency of His grace. 

Especially in the suffering. 

I've asked why a second cancer diagnosis. Why am I going through this again? Why didn't He spare me this trial? Why is this part of my story again? Why didn't He deliver me from it rather than through it?! I know He's okay with me asking. I know it's in the asking that I seek and surrender and find His power, compassion and sufficiency. I know it is He that strengthens me and equips me with all I need to come forth as gold. Nothing touches my life apart from His knowledge and provision.  

I am trusting He is being glorified in and through my every step. 

Is there any book that brings to mind suffering more than the book of Job?  Not sure any human has suffered quite like Job. He lost everything. His wife, children, possessions, even his own health. But, as we can read in scripture, it was not because of some sin in his life. 

In chapter 1 of Job, God says this about him - "There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." 

Satan, who is there seeking whom he may devour, because that's his nature - to steal, kill and destroy - says to God, 'does Job fear you for nothing? Have you not put a hedge of protection around him and his household? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike all he has and he will curse you to your face.'

God knows exactly how Job will respond and He gives satan limited permission to inflict suffering on Job. Limited. Make no mistake, Job suffered greatly! In every single way. It's a hard book of the Bible to read, but one I read and relate. I've not suffered near what Job has, but I can relate to some degree. 

And more than the suffering, I find great hope and encouragement in much of what is recorded in the book of Job. 

What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me

Especially since 2003, I have wavered between faith and fear

In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing

To God belong wisdom and power; counsel and understanding are His. 

Though he slay me, yet will I hope in Him; I will surely defend my ways to His face. Indeed, this will turn out for my deliverance for no godless man would dare come before Him!

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand upon the earth. 

But He knows the way I take; when He has tested me, I will come forth as gold. I have not departed from the commands of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my daily bread.

The fear of the Lord - that is wisdom - and to shun evil, understanding. 

I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted. 

The end of Jobs story is greater than the beginning in many ways. We are told that after Job prayed for his friends, The Lord made him prosperous again and gave him twice as much as he had before. The Lord blessed the later part of Jobs life more than the first! 

And Job lived 140 years and saw his children and their children to the 4th generation. And then he died...full of years. 

Job trusted God. He prayed for his friends. God was always FAITHFUL to him. He is faithful to me. He is faithful to you. It's who He is and He can be trusted.

As a child I remember standing at the end of church singing "I Surrender All" and having no idea what it meant, but knowing I longed to surrender. To be safe in the hands of God and trust Him with all of me and all my life. 

That's a work that's still being done. Surrender. And realizing there is freedom in the surrender and the abiding. 

And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in me will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.  

For I am the LORD your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, "Do not fear; I will help you." 

All for His glory ~

Mindi









No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...