Saturday, September 6, 2008

Kids Say the Darndest things!

We had our carpets professionally cleaned yesterday and I had told everyone several times to stay out of the den and definitely not walk on the carpet with shoes for the weekend because the carpet was damp and it needed to fully dry. So, it worked well because we were all gone last night at the 1st home football game and when we got home it would be bedtime. So, the girls and I got home first and everyone removed their shoes and went about their bedtime routine. Everyone except Preslie. She stood in the kitchen crying. She HATES to get her feet or hands wet. Two examples are that she never fingerpaints and never walks in wet grass ~ I have no painted handprints of her because she refuses to let her Sunday School or school teacher paint her palm and fingers. As if beginning kindergarten didn't have enough change and challenges, someone thought it a good idea to have a fire drill at school the 1st week of classes!! ???? Her teacher told me after school that Preslie got really upset that she had to walk across the wet grass in her sandals. BUT, she did walk across and I am thankful she obeyed even though it was really hard for her to get wet. So, I digress.........

Preslie stands in the kitchen crying as the girls and I went about getting ready for bed. I decided the ignore it approach was best because you cannot reason with her in times like these. So, I am in my room washing my face and such and I hear "I am NOT going to walk across that ____ carpet" - Kyleigh, Addison and I immediately all met in the kitchen with the same expression on our faces. SHOCK!! Disbelief!!! I said to Preslie, what did you say??? She repeated it and we all sighed with relief ~ She said "DAMP" carpet - Thank God! My mind was racing with what I was going to do had she really said what I thought she said. It was such a hilarious moment because all three of us were sure she'd said something really bad. I'm so grateful she didn't~ We laughed, I carried her on my back to her bedroom and got her ready for bed. They really do listen to what we say - damp was the word I'd used to describe the carpet all afternoon~

A few minutes later she walks from her room to the bathroom on the hallway carpet which also had been cleaned. She'd forgotten it was wet and I didn't remind her knowing that it wouldn't be a big deal once she just did it! She says in the most pleasant voice "Mommy, this damp carpet really feels soft" - Oh Preslie!! She is one of those 'gotta live it to learn it' kids!

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...