Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Simple Pleasures

I've had a lot of random thoughts this past few days and I attribute that to just having such random chunks of time throughout the day. I am clearly not in a groove yet with this whole school gig and I'm going to just have a rambling post with a common thread -simple pleasures. Here is a picture of a simple pleasure....


Preslie enjoying a Krispy Kreme chocolate sprinkle donut- Check out the closed eyes and you can almost hear her saying..........mmmmmmmmmmm this is so good! You can just see the pleasure on her face! We had a family day in Tulsa on Sunday and one of our stops was KK and the girls love watching the donuts run through the conveyor belt - Hunter is past enjoying that part of it but still enjoys that warm fresh glazed donut enough to go inside! A great thing about having 6 people in our family is we can all pick our 2 favorite donuts and we make a dozen. We've all enjoyed those yummy donuts!
Rick and I decided at 16 days until Hunter's 16th birthday we'd give him a little gift each and every day - by little I mean very little, inexpensive yet fun! If he only knew how much pleasure I got out of that each and every day - For under $3 most days he enjoys some very simple pleasure - One of his main love languages is receiving gifts so this speaks huge to him! If food could be a love language that would certainly be high on his list as well - he LOVES food. So, it's been really easy to give him something each day~ The first day I went up to his school and put a box of Whoppers in his locker w/a little note - he came out at 1:30 for Football and was so appreciative....he loved it. So, each day we've had a little something waiting on him at the bar when he gets up - he's gotten to where he comes and checks 1st thing. Sunday night we saved his 'gift' for nighttime and he asked about 3x that day if we forgot his gift - so funny!! That night Rick and I ran out and got about 5 days worth of little gifts and I also picked up a tube of chapstick he needed - So we got home, I tossed the chapstick to him and said 'happy day 7' and he just smiled and said, oh thanks mom as sincerely as he could. I smiled and said, just kiddin, here is your real gift - it was a pint of Ben/Jerrys Double Fudge Brownie - he was relieved : ) but he was not ungrateful for the chapstick - simple pleasures!!
Another great thing I discovered is simple but so appreciated....... I found a great mattress pad at Walmart - it's by Canopy and it's a gel filled mattress pad. I can't tell you how soft and cushy it is and how much I love getting into bed each night. Who knew a mattress pad could make such a huge difference, it's such a simple thing with such a great impact! If you need a new one, I highly recommend it!
Today has given me a taste of fall - I love the changing seasons and the coolness in the air. I know the heat is not over but I am thankful for the break in the humidity and the suffocating heat. Change can be a good thing, often it is. What has been really neat in my bible study of Genesis is what I've learned that is new even though I've read the 1st chapter of Genesis a million (not really) times! He created not only the sun for day and the moon for night but He created the changing seasons. I wonder if He just new in our human-ness we just get bored with the same thing? Anyway, I love fall and I can't wait for this season to begin!

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...