Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bruin Mile Run 08

The Bruin Mile Run has long been a tradition of elementary age students and Addison has run in this race three times now. They run a cross-country mile with elementary students all over Bartlesville. Her goal has always been to a)finish b)beat her previous years time and this year she added c) to finish in the top 15 and get a medal. She has trained for a couple of weeks by riding her bike more, walking around the block and jumping on the trampoline. Well, she got 2/3 of her goals met and she was happy with how well she did. She would have liked to have won the medal but not this time. As I told her, she still did an outstanding job! I am thrilled with her initiative to compete only against herself. There were hundreds of kids from the 7 elementary schools who participated and it's just a great event.

Waiting for the race to begin ~
Almost to the finish line ~
Slapping a high five with her ponytail swinging as she crosses the FINISH!
Last night we talked about finishing the race strong and me, being the kind of person I am felt the need to make a life lesson out of the race. : ) Everyone who participated got a ribbon and the top 15 got a medal. That just made the following verse jump right out at me! I related how important it is that we run the race Christ has set before us and that we are guaranteed a prize that will not be temporary but will last forever.
1 Cor 9:24-27 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...