Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Interruptions

Sunday in our class we talked about sacrifice, obedience and interruptions. How much more I have been guilty of prayers for favor, grace and being 'left alone'. But God doesn't desire to leave me as I am. He is always working to make me into the person He desires me to be and who is ultimately useful for His works.

Much of what I find myself doing these days is not what I planned. Certainly not where I saw myself at this stage in my life. My days are not spent as I invisioned but how grateful I am that God knows best. His ways and His thoughts are higher. I wouldn't want my days spent any other way. The blessings I am receiving daily are more numerous than the sand on the beach!! So, I could view my life as a series of unplanned interruptions but I am grateful that God has been molding me into the person who sees things 'cross-eyed' - seeing it all from an eternal perspective - through the cross. I pray I am spending my time in ways that will have an eternal, not temporal, impact.

Yesterday my girls and I were given an opportunity to spend time with a precious friend. She selflessly gave up her time to share time with us, creating. Creating unique and beautiful Valentine boxes. Gracious. Selfless. She used her God-given gifts to pour into the lives of my girls. I sat there thinking how grateful I am that she chose to see us not as an interruption but an opportunity. The time sown into my girls lives made an impact. It might seem small and insignificant to some. Not to me. Not to them. I hope not to her.

Additionally, an amazing retired teacher selflessly gave her time to Preslie yesterday. As they worked creating her box they visited quietly, instructions were given, stories were told and wisdom was shared by a Proverbs 31 woman to a small child who soaked it up like a sponge. So did her mom.

As I reflect on how much I like to plan and prepare I see how much God has transformed my thinking but much more my heart. I chose to see interruptions as opportunities. I have the best example to follow - When Jesus walked this earth he never got from point A to point B without interruptions. Someone needed Him and He always stopped, gave His time and showed compassion. That is my desire. Jesus came not to be served but to serve. He has a heart of love.

One of my very favorite scriptures is 2 Samuel 24:24 and David is talking about sacrifice. He says, "I will not sacrifice to the Lord burnt offerings that cost me nothing." I of course began thinking how often in my selfishness I want to do only those things that are comfortable and simple but I also see over the past several years how God has been transforming me. The things that have cost me the most are the things He has used for His glory and my best. So, I chose to sacrifice my time, my energy, my desires and let Him change me moment by moment into the person He wants me to be. If it costs me nothing, is it really a sacrifice?

1 comment:

Marci said...

Interruptions many times can be the biggest blessings. I struggle in this area as well, but I have come a long way from where I was.

This post was so beautifully written. What an amazing woman and mom you are. I love hearing your heart!

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...