Sunday, July 11, 2010

Lessons from a Guinea Pig

Recently some friends of ours needed to find a new home for their pet guinea pig.  One of our daughters, who would love to rescue every one of God's creatures who needs a home, thought should bring it to our home. I did not share her feelings. I am not a fan of guinea pigs. Trying to show her the reasons adopting yet another pet is not a good idea I gave some truly valid arguments. My strongest argument against it.... if these were such lovable and wonderful creatures to have as pets then why did we know 3 families who wanted to get rid of them? She always has some great reason. So, I did the only thing I knew to do. Telling her in all sincerity that I would consider the adoption if no one would give him a home but in the meantime we should pray about it. Seriously pray about it! Of course and not surprisingly, she had been praying about it. However, she agreed that we should pray more and seek God's plan for us and this little guinea pig.

So, we prayed. We waited. The guinea pig was in a sort of holding pattern. The family who needed to find him a new home had sent him to live with another family who were good friends. They were going to have a garage sale and expecting that a nice family would adopt him.

That day of the sale there were many tears shed for this little guinea pig. Being sure he would not get a good home she had herself completely upset and distraught. Then word came...he had been adopted. By a teacher no less. I was giddy with joy! I didn't have to adopt this little creature and who better to adopt him than an elementary school teacher! He'd get to be a class pet! What could be better?!? How good our God is! 

Sadly, my child did not agree and more tears followed. She had been sure we would be his new owners and hours of research had been done to know exactly how to give this guinea pig the most amazing home ever!  I told her how awesome it was that God let us know what became of the little guinea pig. How awesome that someone wanted him and would give him a great home. He'd be loved on by new kids every year and enjoyed by children each and every day. "What about weekends?" my child debated. *Sigh*

Later that day I got a text message from my girl. With lots of exclamation points and excitement she says "It's Mrs. B" - huh - I reply. The guinea pigs new owner...it was her 5th grade teacher and a teacher and friend we adore!  Now come on I say to her - is our God amazing or what! He even let you know how He answered our prayers and you get peace in knowing the ending - who this guinea pig will be loved by! How can you not be overjoyed!  At that point she relents and agrees that it was a pretty amazing ending and that God continues to prove Himself faithful and He does truly care about all His creatures!

I am grateful for answers to prayers and even if He hadn't let us in on all the details...our God is good all the time and all the time God is good!

2 comments:

Becky said...

That's great!!!! Isn't God good . . . even in the small stuff!!! Maybe she should babysit it on weekends???? Or maybe I should SHUT my mouth!!!

Mindi said...

Ha on the baby sitting! : )Yes Becky He is so cool to let us in on the small things I overlook too often!! I love keeping up with you through your blog!! Hugs to your family!

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...