Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Calling

In the second grade God stirred my heart. Somehow at the young age of 8 I knew what I wanted for the future. God equipped me with the personality traits I would need to do what He had placed in my heart that year. Of course at age 8 I didn't know it was from God but of course now I do.

My dreams were simple. I wanted only a few things in life. To teach, to be a wife and a mother! How fortunate I am that I've gotten to do all of these things! It's no accident that I am created just as He planned - He placed in me love of learning, love of teaching and seeing children get it, good time management skills and a tiny desire to boss ; )

After graduating from OSU in 1988 I looked forward to my very first teaching assignment. Little did I know that in the spring of 1989 I would meet Rick and my plans to begin my teaching career would be mildly delayed as we planned our future together. In 1990 I began my official teaching career and loved every minute of it. Each day was different than before, the children in each of the classes I taught became a special part of my life and my heart.

Seven years of teaching passed by at a blinding pace. I had a precious 4 year old son I deeply desired to be home with and a baby girl on the way. In the spring of 1997 I packed up my last box of teaching supplies, walked out of the classroom and began my new life as a full time wife and mom.

Even though I was doing what I'd always wanted and believed was best, each fall there was a twinge of bittersweetness in my heart as teachers began plans for the school year and I did not. Almost every summer I would receive a phone call from a principal asking if I wanted a teaching position and it never failed to be a hard thing for me to decline. I was passionate about teaching and felt torn between the two worlds I loved.

I can't say it never occured to me to home school my children, it just didn't seem like something felt called or led to do. I was excited by each new milestone Hunter embarked upon. I loved each new step that he would walk in and the natural progression was to send him off to Kindergarten, first grade, second grade, etc. Then there was middle school and the milestones kept coming. It was exciting for him and me! I loved being on the other side of the coin...the parent. I would do this three more times but each time was a bit less thrilling. Instead of excitement, I felt a twinge of sadness, realizing how fleeting the years would be and how much time my precious children were out of my nest being taught, influenced and mentored by someone other than me.

As I walked out of the kindergarten classroom after dropping off Preslie I had tears. I'm not talking quiet little tears streaming down my cheek...I mean sobs. It was not until December that we would make the final decision to bring her home for school but we did make that decision after much prayer, much talking and preparing.

Many things occured that school year that convinced me that our view of how we educate our children should change. I can't begin to explain the way God worked in me. He transformed my thinking. He changed my heart. He changed the hearts of my children and we began the new way of life. I'm awed by the provisions He put in place for us. He literally step by step guided us into this path. People He brought into my life were divine! Information began pouring in and I felt a supernatural leading.

It made perfect sense. I have been given a desire to teach and be a mom. Getting to do both is amazing! I'm still in awe that God has carefully designed this plan for our family. I am excited about the upcoming school year and I am grateful that I get to spend each day with our girls - teaching, instructing, loving, mentoring, encouraging and guiding them into life. I love the relationships we get to build with each other and I pray daily that the relationships they build with one another will be solid and life-long. I love the memories we get to make and that ultimately together we will know God and make Him known.

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...