Monday, December 27, 2010

Secret Santa

Neither of my parents grew up in homes with much tradition. It amazes me to reflect back on how many things these two people, with little or no good example to follow,  brought into our family!  I've always known and believed my parents were brought together by God and I don't know how they could have loved me and my brothers more. It was clear we were huge priorities in their lives and love abounded in our home.  Together they intentionally and creatively created a great deal of tradition for us as kids and many of those traditions Rick and I have carried over to our family and added some new ones along the way.

 One of those new traditions is simply called, Secret Santa. It's not a new creation, many families do this within their own families but it's one tradition all four of our kids look forward to each Christmas.  Typically we have them draw names after we put our tree up and they spend time thinking about what gift they think their person would enjoy. They listen for hints and ideas for a few weeks and then we take a trip to Tulsa together and separately go off and help each one of them shop. They love keeping the secret and guessing who has their name. In addition to the gift they are to do a 'random act of kindness' for the person they selected sometime before the new year. It's interesting to see how they chose to bless each other. I hope this tradition will be carried on for a long long time.
                                   

Trading with their Secret Santas
Kyleigh was sure she'd guessed whose name everyone had drawn. Laughing because she was wrong on every guess.

Waiting to open their gifts
Waiting...
Obsessed with Toy Story...pretty happy she got it!
A new robe
An i-touch cover
A titanium necklace with his favorite scripture on it ~

I am grateful for each person God has put in my life and I truly feel abundantly blessed!

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...