Saturday, May 14, 2011

100 in 99

In 99 days Hunter will move from our home to his home away from home. I'm not actually counting the days. I had to go look on my calendar to get the number of days for a summer project God has truly convicted me of in recent weeks. 

One of my very favorite scriptures comes from Deuteronomy. I have made it my life verse or mission statement in recent years. It says this:  Deut 6:5-9 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on your doorframes of your houses and your gates.

Clearly, God is to be the center of all we do and think! I love scripture and I love memorizing it, though it is challenging. We regularly memorize scripture and I do my very best to live out the verses above. With all my heart I believe it is my highest calling to teach our children about our Lord and to love Him with their hearts, mind, soul and strength. To equip them to be a light to a world who desperately needs to know Him. I so desire to equip them with truth so that when they go out in the world each day they can stand strong in Him. To be equipped to recall scripture at a moments notice is critical. So many times I need to recall a verse and I love when I can - I am certain there will be many occasions when we'll all be grateful to recall His word in the days to come.

A friend led me to a book that I've been intrigued by and feel led to apply to our lives this summer. It's called
100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart: Robert J. Morgan .  So, we have 99 days to commit to memory and impress upon our hearts 100 verses. It's my hope that our children already know many of them so maybe there won't be 100 to learn but certainly 100 to recall to memory and I know God will bless them for hiding His word in their hearts!

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...