With Father's Day approaching I've found myself thinking a lot more often (if that's possible) of my dad. I choose not to focus on the fact that he's not living in this temporary home but he lives in our eternal home and one day we'll be there with him. I choose to focus on the 44 years he was in my life. It's astounding to me that God has been so good to me to give me the parents He gave me and the heritage and the legacy they have instilled in me. It is by grace alone that my brothers and I were given the childhood we were given. Neither of my parents had much of a positive example to follow. Their childhoods were certainly not happy or stable times. What they saw and lived in wasn't something any child should. But God hadn't forgotten them and they met and married and together chose differently. I know God had his hand on their hearts and their lives. Remarkably they rose above their circumstances and chose to give themselves and us a better life. They certainly gave us extraodinary examples to follow, traditions we would carry on in our own lives and families and the desire to improve the quality of life of our own families.
My dad put himself through college, fought in 2 wars (which God definitely saw him through, protected by angels) and made a career that would provide for his family. Together with mom they raised us in a home that was abundant in love, peace and security. I never remember my dad saying a harsh or critical word to me. He never raised a hand to me. He was the first male in my life to show me unconditional love in abundance. As I grew up we shared common interest and he'd take me to hit golf balls and we regularly did aerobics classes, or fitness classes as he called them, or did our 4 mile road work. He supported me and at times gave me boundary lines that as a determined and strong-willed child that I was would challenge. He loved me anyway. In college he wrote me several times a week and I cherish those written words from him. His quiet temperment was a comfort to me. He loved my mom deeply. His loyalty to her and our family was refreshing. I am beyond grateful for the dad God chose to bless me with. I am thankful my heart is full of great memories to recall and share.
Happy Father's Day to all those great dads out there! I thank God that He gave me a great earthly father and an equally great father to my children.

No comments:
Post a Comment