Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Glimpse into the Future

A fairly common question posed to me lately is something along the lines of 'I bet your dreading Hunter leaving in August.' It may not be exactly those words but the gist is the same and it's interesting that there is such a negative slant on the upcoming events in life. I have to say that I will miss him like crazy but I am so excited for what his future holds. I believe he's equipped and ready for the new chapter in his life. I believe he is going to be exactly where God intends him to be and what an exciting time for him!  God has graciously given Rick and me this amazing person to love, nurture, teach, enjoy and share life with but he has plans for Hunter and the time is coming for him to go to the next phase of his life. Without a doubt I trust God to prepare us for this new season and that He has great things in store for us too as we watch Hunter spread his wings and fly a bit farther from home.

So, in God's awesomeness he gave us a neat snapshot of the future. Last weekend our family dynamic was dramatically different than it's ever been before. For the 1st time in 11 years Rick and I had only 2 children at home for an extended period of time. It was also unusual that it was our youngest two home with us and the older 2 were gone in different places for 3 days. While it was strange, God also reminded me that He was giving me a glimpse of the future. In 4 short years our family will look like it did for those 3 days. It will be just the 4 of us.

I'm constantly reminded how important it is to enjoy the journey each day holds. I can't hold onto yesterday or freeze time (even though at times I confess I wish I could) - God has a great plan and purpose for each and every season and my job is to trust Him. I appreciate the snapshot of the future but I cherish this day, this season and when the time comes for the next season of life, He will equip me for it and I'll do my part to enjoy, embrace and trust Him in it.

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...