Thursday, July 7, 2011

Christmas Cards

The fact that it is 100+ outside pretty much every single day in this lovely place we call home would make one think that Christmas cards would be far far from my mind. But since my mind is atypical, Christmas cards are exactly what's on my mind. I think it's a defense mechanism. I think. Anyway, for the 1st time in memory (well, atleast in the 21 years that Rick and I have been married) I did not do Christmas cards in 2010. It's nagged at me and I think of it pretty regularly. I love love love getting cards from my friends and family. Some of the people, I only hear from once a year so I really cherish it so! I love going to the mailbox and finding more than junk or a bill which could also be referred to as junk ;) Anyway, Christmas cards are just so great and the fact that I didn't mail any out in 2010 bothers me for a variety of reasons.

First, which is the most morbid of all, I fear that not having sent my cards out may make some people who only hear from my 1x a year worry that something tragic has happened. Warped mind, I know. Cancer changed the way my brain thinks.

Secondly, I worry that people just checked me off their list which will mean that the cards I receive in 2011 will be dramatically diminished. I pray that isn't so. People are fickle like that!  I know, I've done it.

Thirdly, I feel sad that I broke such a long running tradition. I love tradition. I love keeping tradition going. However, I think it'll be pretty easy to re-establish.

Anyway, so I've been pretty excited thinking of our Christmas Cards for 2011. I was thinking how difficult it might be getting a good one due to the fact that Hunter will not be living here and when would we find time to take one and get it printed when he is home.

Well, not to worry my friends...I have it all worked out. For the 1st time since Hunter was 5 and Kyleigh was 2 - that's BAP (before Addison and Preslie) we are taking a family vacation that has absolutely nothing to do with baseball games of any kind. Miraculous really. I am so completely excited about it I could explode! We've taken little trips to San Antonio, St Louis, Kansas City, Breckenridge but nothing really vacation-y like this! My girls just had  a few simple requests. They wanted an airplane to be involved, a beach and stairs. I love that they are so simple and easily pleased! Anyway, Kyleigh and Hunter are determined to do the wave runners and snorkling. They'd love to parasail and swim with dolphins - we'll see if we can make that happen. It'll be tremendous and I'm so grateful for a full week of fun and sun in our future!

The 6 of us plus my mom and my Aunt Becky will fly to Florida to stay for a week on Siesta Keys! It will be such a great time! Many firsts to be had. Here are a few:

*1st family vacation without baseball (did I mention that HAHA)
*1st family trip on an airplane
*1st time for our girls to ever be on an airplane - except for when Addison was 5 wks old she flew with me and Rick to Dallas to pick up our Honda Odyssey - that was random but they were hard to come by in 2000.
*First time to Florida for Rick and the girls
*First time on a beach for the girls
*First time in the ocean for the girls
*First time for a trip with mom without dad :(

I'm sure we'll discover more first along the way! It's going to be extraordinary.  So what does any of this have to do with Christmas Cards? Well, I was thinking of the things we'll do on our trip and viola, what a better place and time to take our 2011 family Christmas Pictures but on the gorgeous beach!  I can't wait! I think my cards will be printed and in the mail by Thanksgiving~

Only 174 days til Christmas by the way : ) Additionally, I've already bought a gift! WOW!

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...