Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Get out of that Pit...Not the Beth Moore Book

There should be a photo of a donkey in a well but I'm still technologically challenged, so just use your imagination. Also, I've added my own thoughts and scripture references :)  See the * in various places. I found it to be so interesting, and yet not surprising, that all but one of the scripture references I added into this little story were in my quiet time THIS week! And it's only Tuesday.  He is so faithful to give us exactly what He knows we need for each day. Today He gives me a new measure of grace, mercy and love! He faithfully gives us our 'daily bread' -

I saw this story on facebook  and it spoke to me in many ways. It was an encouragement to me and just a great reminder that we are more than overcomers! God knows exactly where we are at this very moment and He never leaves or forsakes us! Even in a pit...we don't have to live there! 

Here it is...Be blessed.

One day a farmer's donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do. Finally, he decided the animal was old, and the well needed to be covered up anyway; it just wasn't worth it to retrieve the donkey. *Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are numbered. So, don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."  Matthew 10:29-31  We are worth it to God. He would leave the 99 to find the 1.

He invited all his neighbors to come over and help him. They all grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly. Then, to everyone's amazement he quieted down.

A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the well. He was astonished at what he saw. With each shovel of dirt that hit his back, the donkey was doing something amazing. He would shake it off and take a step up. 

As the farmer's neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up. Pretty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and happily trotted off!

MORAL :
Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. *We live in a harsh and fallen world...but be encouraged, He has overcome the world! * The trick to getting out of the well is to shake it off and take a step up. Each of our troubles is a steppingstone. We can get out of the deepest wells just by not stopping, never giving up! Shake it off and take a step up.

Remember the five simple rules to live by:

1. Free your heart from hatred - Forgive. *Matthew 6:14-15 For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."  Too often we wait for people to ask us to forgive them. Too often that never happens. Choose to forgive them even when, especially when, they never ask because anything less just leaves you (and me) in bondage. That's just my 2 cents :)

2. Free your mind from worries - Most never happens.  *But seek first his kingdom and his rigtheousness and all these things (eat, drink, clothing etc) will be given to you as well.  Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:33-34


3. Live simply and appreciate what you have.  *I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances, I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, where well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Phil 4:11-13

4. Give more.  *Give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Luke 6:38

5. Expect less from people but more from God.  *Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21


One last thing...I am so grateful for the gift and priveledge of having the freedom to read God's word, pray, listen to praise music and know that no matter what time of day or night He, my God, is fully and faithfully accessible to me anytime. I don't have to make an appointment, wait for Him to call me back, wait for Him to wake up or be in  the mood for time with me. He is always ready to meet with me.

I encourage you, if you don't already, make time at the very start of each day to spend time alone with Him. Before kids, email, text messages, phone calls, the morning news or the morning shows...Meet with Him! He created you for a relationship with Him. So, before the world vies for your time, before you turn on the news or the morning show meet with Him. The creator of the universe. The one and only God. The news will be different by the evening news but our God, He is the same yesterday, today and forever!

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...