I've been thinking a lot about love the past several days. How can you not with all the commercials and pink and red hearts all over every store? But really, I have been a little corny about it in my own thoughts the past many days. First and foremost,I am thankful for the love of Jesus in my life!
The first people in my life who loved me were my parents. It's truly by grace my mom and dad raised my brothers and I in a house of love. Real, selfless love. My parents did a stellar job of loving us unconditionally. I am grateful. My dad, together with my mom, always made sure I had a special Valentine waiting for me each Valentines Day. I love the traditions they began for me purely out of love. My dad was my standard for Valentines and I'm grateful Dad was my first Valentine.
Secondly, I have had some friends in my life since I was barely a teen. They are still primary in my life and they too love me unconditionally and that's amazing to me! I've also been blessed with new friends along the way whom I treasure. From my favorite movie of all time I quote, "No man is a failure who has friends." (It's a Wonderful Life)
Then there is Rick. He is more than I ever imagined or ever dreamed of having as a friend and husband. He is a classic example of God's ways and thoughts being higher than ours. He loves me so unconditionally it literally awes me. That's not an easy task :)
When Rick asked my dad for his blessing to marry me, my dad told him I could be pretty hard to deal with or something to that effect! HA! That still makes me chuckle! Apparently, Rick was up for the challenge and I don't know of anyone who can handle me or love me like he does.He has the patience of Job! He has never said a mean or harsh word to me. He has never criticized or ridiculed me, but regularly and often speaks words of encouragement, love and acceptance to me. He has stood beside me in the happiest moments and my darkest days. He prays with and for me every day. I am beyond grateful for his love and his friendship. There is no one I would rather walk through this life with than Rick. I'm grateful Rick is my forever Valentine.
I credit Rick with showing our children how to love. There is a saying that says, "The best thing a father can do for his children is love their mother." He has done that 100 times over. He walks the walk! Every day. He has been an outstanding example of love. Additionally, I am grateful for my kids. They too love me and I love them beyond words. Each of them is unique and amazing and as I know them more each day I'm inspired to love the way they do! They are quick to love, forgive and laugh. I am blessed.
We had little Valentines for our girls when they woke up! I made a heart themed dinner and then Rick and I exchanged gifts - it was a day of peace and love!
This was prettier in person - Shrimp with tomato cream sauce! Big hit!
Rick's primary love language is words of affirmation. This is a neat way I can speak his language regularly by changing the 'why' I love him. Just simply erase and write new things! Thank you Pinterest! :)
My gift from Rick - a spa day and some additional charms to my Brighton Bracelet that he and the kids have been giving me over time.
No comments:
Post a Comment