Thursday, February 23, 2012

Laughter is Good Medicine

There is a great deal of imagination in our house! For some reason, 2 of our children have enjoyed imaginary, or pretend as they like to call them, friends! Our youngest child has a couple of friends who regularly visit or even live at our home. Their names are Dee and Beezy. I always know when they're here because they talk to me via our youngest child. She has a voice change and the whole bit! They call me Mrs. Gaut and are the most polite things you'd ever want to meet. They do whatever Preslie wants them to do without issue and I'm sure that is, in  part, why they are here so much. It's not always easy being the baby of the family.

I might be alarmed by this had it not been for our second child. She had such vivid imaginary friends that it scared me and I had a very in-depth conversation with my BFF who's daughter also had imaginary friends. My BFF had them too so they were, in my opinion, authorities on the subject. They calmed my fears and assured me she would be just fine. (They were right - she's perfectly normal in the best sense possible :)

Yesterday when I walked in the kitchen, Preslie asked if "Jason" could spend the night. "Why of course not and who is Jason?" Naturally, Kyleigh answered for her, "It's Dee's brother." Well, of course he is. I just find it so amusing and interesting.  It just makes me laugh!

Anyway, today at lunch the girls and I were talking about stuff and Preslie was telling me that she was giving them quizzes. She said the options and one of the options was, "The black man" to which Addison responded, "oh my gosh Preslie, that is so racist." Of course she has no idea what racists is but we continued with the conversation and I inquired about what in the world she was talking about. Preslie then says that she got it from Addison and in the most offended and appauled voice Addison refused to accept any part of this. After a few more minutes Preslie clarifies by telling us that Addison had said black men wear number 81. Ooooooooooooh, Addison says - 'I said Blackmon wears number 81' - big difference.  You see, Addison is big into playing football on the Playstation 3. We joke she's the 2nd little boy we never had. Anyway, that cleared it up and we had a good laugh. It was funny. Really. You may have had to be here but it was classic! 

Kyleigh reminded us that it was almost as funny as when Preslie was about 4 and we had our carpet cleaned. Because Preslie hates to get her feet wet, she refused to walk across it and had a minor melt-down. I asked her why she wouldn't walk across it and she said, 'I am not going to walk on the damp carpet!'  None of us heard the D in that word and we all looked shocked and then broke out in laughter realizing she said 'damp' - Funny, funny girl!

Laughter is good for the soul. And the stomach muscles!

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...