Rick and I have been parents for almost 20 years and there are rarely any firsts at this stage of the game! But, last week we experienced a first. I heard loud crying and screaming. Those cries and screams where you just know it's something real. I remember learning to discern the cries of our newborns. Hunger vs pain vs bored vs tired, etc. This cry I heard was clearly a cry of pain. I ran to the sounds and met with Addi who explained Preslie fell backwards off the bed. She was holding her wrist area. After several minutes of holding her, putting ice on it and giving her some Tylenol she seemed a little better. We debated about whether to get her to the doctor now or later.
When I was four years old a similar thing happened to me. I fell off a teeter-totter and hurt my right wrist. My dad also thought it best to wait til morning to see if it improved. It didn't and just as mom had thought, my arm was broken. Fast forward 40 years...same thing! Dads are funny. That story has followed my dad around all these years. He felt badly about it. Rick now gets the same legacy!
So, the next morning Preslie came out and said her arm still hurt. She'd slept well and really didn't complain that much but I could tell she favored and protected it subconsciously.
We made an appointment with an orthopedic and after some x-rays and an examination it was determined that she had a buckle fracture.
Thankfully, medicine has evolved into a great place! Long gone are those hard, hot and uncomfortable casts. Preslie could go that route or she could do the soft, removable (for baths) cast. She agreed to comply with the rules of leaving it on except for baths and I'm so thankful for this great option!
She has been a real trooper. Never complains or anything. She's adapted very well and she will get it off May 24, just in time for the opening of the pool Memorial Day weekend! Yea!
Special delivery from Mimi and Uncle Shawn!
Sporting the soft cast! Sweet girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment