Saturday, July 21, 2012

Field Trips

The girls and I enjoyed a week of no school this past week! It has been so refreshing and nice to not be working on school 'stuff' each day. I'd almost forgotten what it felt like to get up leisurely without a strict agenda.

We had plans to go to the pool a bit earlier and stay through the early afternoon each day. However, those plans of ours were quickly dashed. A leak was discovered and the pool is in a state of repair.

I began thinking of other options and I decided that I've neglected some obvious things to show the girls in our very own community. So, we made plans to visit a few places this week and our field trips will continue in the next days and weeks to come. I really feel strongly that we need to make a regular practice of learning through field trips.

We asked my mom to go on our little journey with us to visit the Frank Phillips Mansion and Keepsake Candle Factory. Our tour guide for the Frank Phillips Mansion was extremely knowledgable and we learned a great deal of interesting facts about some important icons in our community. My dad worked for Phillips Petroleum for 38 years and while I knew some basic facts about Frank and Jane Phillips, yesterday I learned a great deal more. The girls (as well as mom and I) were fascinated by the history, the details and the quirkiness of Jane especially.

After we left the mansion, we traveled out to the candle factory. We wandered through the things for sale on the front porch and then went inside. What fun gifts and items they carry! Unique and fun things I have hidden in my mind to go back and buy for gifts. The woman who was working was so kind. She offered us iced tea while we shopped and we spent a long time wandering through. I found a few treasures and the girls go to dip their own candles. We toured the old caboose that sits on the property and just enjoyed a fun day exploring while in the company of people I love!

So, my lesson...there are plenty of treasures we pass by each day right under our noses. People and places that we blindly ignore - intentionally or accidentally. I want to be more intentional and deliberate to notice and enjoy the things around me. School doesn't always involve paper and pencil. I'm learning more and more it has less to do with that and more to do with living.

P.S. girls if you're reading this, that last paragraph does not mean we won't be doing paper and pencil work ; ) We will!! What fun I had with you yesterday!!

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...