Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Walk

This morning I decided to do something I'd not done in quite some time. Due to our school day, I have simply not built exercise into my daily agenda. I know I could, if I were dedicated and committed to it, but other things have taken it's place in my life. At this point in my life it's just not a priority and I'm very okay with that.

However, the girls and I are now on our 'summer break' and I decided I had time to build it into my agenda, at least for this season in time. I did it for no other reason than I just felt it would be good for me both mentally and physically. I used to make it a habit to walk most days. My parents always made it a practice to exercise regularly and I'd often join them on their walks. For a couple of summers my dad and I did aerobics at the Phillips 66 gym and my mom and I took several classes together and did videos and took walks pretty regularly. It's something I enjoy and I always feel better when I make a good walk part of my day but sometimes just getting back into the habit is the hardest part.

 So, I hit the road and began my 3.2 mile journey. As I was walking I was thinking back on my quiet time this morning. I recently began a new bible study by Kelly Minter. It's so great. It's called "No Other Gods" and it has been so relevant and encouraging, yet convicting.  The title of the days lesson was titled BEHIND EVERY FALSE GOD IS A LIE and she goes on to say at one point we are being lied to every day, and greater still, we are being deceived by those lies. Is that just the harsh truth or what?! We're not only being lied to in the world but those lies are way too often deceiving us!

Anyway, a couple of the scriptures she had us look up this morning were Genesis 3:1-6 which is the familiar story of Eve being tempted by the serpent. Additionally, she had us look up 2 Chronicles 16:9 which says For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him. (2 Chronicles 16:9).As always He is looking for ways to bless us! He is looking for whom He can strengthen. What a great truth!

I've been meditating on that scripture and I so want to be found fully committed to Him and yet there are so many things each day that vie for our attention, our time, our money and ultimately our hearts. All false gods. Even good things can become idols if they take the place that is only Gods place. His word tells us we shall have no other gods before Him. None, not one. Not our kids, our careers, our homes, our spouses or ourselves. Nothing and no one.

I went on walking and had just about completed the halfway mark. I contemplated stopping at half. I mean really, why overdo it  on the first day ;0 So, I'm walking the last part of my journey and right in front of me was a rattlesnake. It was a baby but still a rattlesnake. I would have taken a picture had I had my phone with me but take my word for it. It was about 9-12" long but it was coiled up and striking. Last summer we'd had one of these on our driveway. I scooped him up in a shovel and tossed him across the fence. Kyleigh later informed me that the babies are the most deadly because they don't know how to release only a little poison at a time.  Good to know. So, anyway, I moved aside and avoided making contact with the little guy. Immediately, I thought, you know seems like a good reason to stop the walk at the halfway point because otherwise I will have to pass this way again and what are the chances he's alone. My initial thought to stop short seemed to be confirmed then and there. Afterall, there are probably siblings and parents lurking nearby.

Then as quickly as that thought came to mind I was reminded that God is searching the earth looking for those whose hearts are fully committed to Him. He also reminded me that satan is a liar and a thief and as John 10:10 tells us the thief comes to kill, steal and destory; I (Jesus) have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.  I know it might seem like a stretch to think that satan was trying to steal from me this morning, but I do believe he was. It seems ironic that the thing that was about to keep me from my walk was a snake. I was reminded of a scripture in Job that I looked up later that says this...The Lord said to satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the Lord, "From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it." Job 1:7.  Satan is also roaming the earth but not looking to give life, but to in some way kill, steal and destroy.  I didn't stop my walk short. I finished and enjoyed the morning peace and quiet and felt refreshed and ready for the day and felt thankful I didn't let satan kick my rear.

When I got home to shower I flipped my daily calendar on my bathroom counter. Guess what the verse was!? John 10:10 of course. What a faithful God we serve. He is so in the details. I'm so thankful for His word that is sharper than any 2 edged sword ~ My heart was strengthened today by my most gracious Heavenly Father!



No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...