I don't know that we ever fully appreciate anyone like we do when they're no longer here. I was grateful for him always and I miss him every day, but I am thankful for the memories that bring me both peace and comfort.
I'm thankful he was home every night for family dinners, rocked me in the squeaky rocker when I was struggling with sleep, established family traditions with my mom to make our childhood fun and precious, wanted and gave us a better than he ever had, he taught me to ride my bike, shared his juicy fruit gum that he'd already chewed all day, wiped away tears when my heart was hurt, taught me to golf, worked out with me, walked me down the aisle, loved my babies, always encouraged and supported me, wrote me weekly letters throughout college, showed me tough love when I needed it, taught me to stand up for the underdog, fight for what I believe, and value family. He fought for our country more than once and he was a man's man. He had a dry sense of humor and above all else, he loved my mom and my brothers and me well! Family was important. He and mom raised us in church and he loved Jesus and til the very end knew for sure that Jesus loved him too. I'm thankful for the traditions they established and that we get to carry on with our families.
I'm thankful for the 12 years we got to live across the street from Mom and Dad! I'm thankful for Sunday famiy dinners, for walks across the street for visits and the memories our kids get to have of growing up knowing their MiMi and Papa in their every day lives. What a gift!
One day, I will see him again and I'm thankful for that hope and truth!

No comments:
Post a Comment