Hunter got home for Christmas break on December 11 and we're thankful he just wanted to be home with us. We so enjoyed having him here for the past 32 days making memories and deepening relationships. Being present. He's so easy. So content. So engaging. The time he spent investing in his sisters made my heart full. We had great conversations and laughter. No huge events or trips. Just life. The transition is smooth and we just love having our family complete. But yesterday the time came for him to go back to school and begin the first of his last three semesters of college. It's hard for me to grasp the fact that in 3 short semesters he will embark on yet another new journey.
Tears do come. Throughout the day we'd all have moments of sadness. Everyone left home fully aware of the change and the sense of emptiness he leaves when those truck lights drive off down the road. It doesn't ever really get easier. More than just his room is left empty. But, we also celebrate knowing Hunter is right where he belongs. He's made a life in Stillwater and he's happy there. And, he'll be back. But the reality is that each break brings him a little closer to that next chapter. Just as it should. The neat truth is that with every ending there is a new beginning.
But those tail lights. So symbolic and in all honesty, I'd rather see the headlights. And we will. But for now, it's time to end break and begin new things. God has been so faithful to Hunter and over break I got to see so much fruit from the work He is doing in Hunter's heart and in his life. He has some really amazing things coming up this semester and we're excited to see Hunter living out what God has planned. As my role of mom is forever evolving, I keep in mind that with every close of a stage begins a new one. These are good times too.
Periodically throughout the past 24 hours, Preslie repeats what we're all feeling. Simply stated. "I miss Hunter. I wish he was here. But if he's happy, then I'm happy. But I think I'll just do on-line college." The truth is she won't. When the day comes and it's her turn to begin her new journey she'll be ready. But there will be tears. Then there will be smiles watching her begin the next neat journey God has planned.

1 comment:
Isn't it just so hard? I keep telling myself that the fact that it is hard is good. I could wish James away, I suppose, if he was not such a delightful young man. I would rather miss him desperately than not want him to come home. I knew it would be hard, but I really had no idea just how hard. The sadness mixed with the proud feelings about who he has become and how God is using and growing him are hard to juggle. I am excited for him, and yet I want to turn back the hands of time and make it move just a little more slowly. As you mentioned that Hunter only has three more semesters of college, I realized again how quickly time flies. It seems like I just read about him graduating and leaving home. It is great to hear how wonderful he is doing!
Post a Comment