Monday, February 3, 2014

Leave a Fragrance

Friday morning I walked the girls out to their car just as I do every school day.  When I came back inside, I was met with a sweet fragrance. It made me smile. The sweet smell of their perfume was proof they had been here. Both different smells but blended together beautifully to leave our home smelling fragrant.  I was happy their presence lingered a little longer. I always miss them when they're gone. I didn't really think that much more about it. Until this morning. 

 I was flipping through my bible to find 2 Corinthians 4:8 and before I got there the page opened to 2 Corinthians 2:14. I had, at some time, underlined this passage of scripture and it brought to mind the moment God showed me on Friday.  I'm always blown away when God bring His word so clearly to my eyes in the very moment I need it. His word truly is living and active!!

But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowldege of Him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. 

We, I, you -are the aroma of Christ! That's big stuff to ponder. 

We've all been around people who leave us feeling refreshed and encouraged and we've all been around people who leave us feeling the need for a shower. Have mercy, I am guilty of both no doubt. But as believers, we are becoming like Him. Transformed into His image. As a result, we should enter and leave people's presence with the incense of Christ. 

Many years ago, we were cleaning up after a football game that was not our stadium. We were the visitors and one of the moms made a comment I had never heard but has since stuck with me. She simply said, 'Let's leave this place better than it was when we got here.' Profound. I've repeated that message many times to myself and my family and will hear it echoed back from time to time. What if I left people better than when I found them? With the hope of Christ. That's the only way it's possible.

So, I continue to let Jesus transform me and my desire is that I leave a sweet aroma of Christ everywhere I go. I'm reminded of a song Rick and I had sung at our wedding. Sweet, Sweet Spirit and how the little visual from the sweet smell of teenage girls brought such a great truth to my mind and heart.

There's a sweet, sweet Spirit in this place,
And I know that it's the Spirit of the Lord;
There are sweet expressions on each face,
And I know they feel the presence of the Lord.

Chorus
Sweet Holy Spirit, Sweet heavenly Dove,
Stay right here with us, filling us with Your love.
And for these blessings we lift our hearts in praise;
Without a doubt we'll know that we have been revived, 
When we shall leave this place.

 

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...