Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Lessons

"I can forgive other people so easily, but forgiving myself is so hard." 

Those are the words from our eleven year old daughter yesterday. The moment they left her lips, they penetrated my heart and they've stayed there since. I've thought so much about that profound and heartfelt statement from this precious child. Preslie loves Jesus. We talk about Him off and on all day. Because of that love, she's quick to apologize, quick to forgive and quick to move on. Unless it's herself. Isn't that just the truth, though. Forgiving others does seem to be easier than forgiving ourselves. 

We had a challenging day yesterday. Some days are just like that. It wasn't entirely either of our fault. But the beauty of it is, where there is forgiveness - there is restoration. It's always humbling and challenging to me when I see how sin breaks her heart. It truly grieves her to sin and I often ask myself, do I grieve over my sin? Shouldn't I? She'll tell me 'my heart just hurts' and It brings her to literal tears when she recognizes it. Then, she immediately wants to deal with it and be forgiven - both by me (or whomever) and more importantly by God. What a tender heart!

'I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.' Isaiah 57:25 

Jesus came to save us. From our sin. It's why He died and rose again. That we can come to Him - admit we are sinners, we need a Savior and He is the great I Am! He came to forgive and restore us and I'm beyond grateful for that. He forgives when we humbly come and ask. Repent and turn from it. Then He lovingly lifts us up and sets us back up on our feet. 

I love how our relationship as parents with our own children is such a picture of our relationship with our Heavenly Father. With compassion we hold them tight, forgive and let healing take place. Set them back up on their feet and tell and show them everything is forgiven. 

I've been forgiven much in my lifetime and because of that, I choose to forgive much. Jesus never refuses my apology or holds back forgiveness. Sometimes people do, but regardless, seeking and giving forgiveness is never as much for the other person as it is for me. I have to forgive and ask for forgiveness because I learned long ago that to hold onto things without forgiveness is like drinking poison. It destroys and creates and grows bitterness in hearts. There are a lot of people walking around full of hurt, bitterness and unforgiveness. Like most things that matter...it's simple, but it's not easy to forgive. But, there is such freedom in it! And Jesus came to set the captives free!

I'm grateful God chooses to forgive and I'm grateful that Preslie illustrates and extends, on a daily basis, love and forgiveness. 

Isn't that just like God to use a sweet, innocent child to teach me great big lessons. 

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Mark 10:14-15

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...